India or China? Who are you rooting for?

Would you like to see China as the world’s top power? What a bloody nightmare!
Personally, I’m rooting :sunglasses: for India to do well in the coming decades. It’s a more humane and democratic civilization.

And it’s not just because I love cricket and that my first experience of love was with an Indian lass. (If you must know, I was just eleven at the time, and the girl in question was a classmate. We had an innocent moment where the sparks of love flew - well, my hairy arm brushed against hers and there was an electric shock. I mistook static electricity for “love.”)

Vietnam.

HG

I was going to be rude and talk about my sex life, but then i realised this was IP, not crossfire. So I guess I’ll be ‘rooting’ for India, instead, then. :blush:

Her hairy arm? :laughing:

But yeah, India all the way.

Personally, I’m hoping it’s Nauru.

But if I had to choose between China and India, I’d say India. Especially because I’ve spent almost 18 months in India.

Her hairy arm? :laughing:

[/quote]

Ach, beat me to it by a nanosecond.
AJ, I’m so disappointed, you haven’t even begun to approach this with any kind of critical analysis, there’s really only one question and one question only, to wit:

OR

for a curry in a hurry it’s got be Kingfisher and India as the world power.

Well glad that’s settled then. Sit back in the corner, China, and … Come on down, India!

Neither.
Kazakhstan all the way!

Come on its easy - apart from the Olympic convenience factor there is never an terrorism in China’s major cities, the beer is better, the food rocks, the people are better looking, and generally the level of filth is lower.

I refuse to travel to India after my last trip - in the great flood of Mumbai, but love traveling to China.

Indian food is filthy as are most of the people. The only plus is that they all speak English.

Just my 2C

China can go to bloody hell in a flaming handbasket as far as I’m concerned. So I guess India wins by default.

Must be China, oh yes sure India is a “flourishing” democracy but China has been much more effective at raising the living standards of its people and rectifying social ills. Somehow though any problem in India (female infanticide, extreme poverty, hunger, pollution, corruption, the caste system) is rarely blamed on the government, in China it nearly always is.

Edit: And Muzha man still has that made-up quote from “a renowned historian at Beijing university” in his signature line.

That’s hard to argue with, Chinese have done a lot more for their people’s human right OVERALL than India. Take both countries a hundred years ago and look at them now, still 100s of millions of Indian living in abject poverty and stuck in their class (changing quicker now in the cities at least). Doesn’t excuse the glaring lapses in China thoughand their oversensitive treatment of Tibet, Taiwan etc. I see China and India (and Chinese and Indians) as a lot more mature than a country like Russia for example. I’d like to see Russia and the US take a bit more of a back seat. I favour a multi-polar world which gives a chance for us all to understand and respect each other and forces diplomacy more. I think it’s happening with increased education and prosperity in the most populous states, now if only the Arabs and Israelis would join the project.

I don’t think the PRC would tolerate Islamic terrorist to run around for 3 days killing people in their financial capital. And if those terrorist originated from Taiwan, I doubt they bother wasting time sabre rattling about the head of ROC intelligence needing to cooperate, as India is doing with Pakistan.

The downside to that kind of policy and military force concerning social unrest is that you have 6/4 incidents.

In terms of benchmarks, India is unable to attract the kind of foreign investments PRC has been able to. Which goes back to the fact they are unable to attain the level of stability that the PRC has.

In terms of world politics, the PRC are light years ahead in terms of manipulating Pakistan, and to some degree USA, to hinder India. Where as India has not been able to play Tibet nor Taiwan to their advantage in hindering the PRC.

I don’t get your point. That is a joke line from a funny website on Chinese cultural absurdities.

The PRC certainly have many advantages on their side over India when it comes to being the next superpower. One-party totalitarian rule, for one. Being a Police state, and without a transparent rule of law, for another. Plus a very sophisticated military intelligence and ‘agents provocateurs’ system, for a third. Not to mention a brain-washed, easily manipulated populace, very tight financial constraints including a non-floating currency and strict investment regulations, etc, as well as a totally subjugated media. And they’ve got Yao Ming. Don’t forget Yao Ming.

Still, they can’t have it all. They have serious resource, water and pollution issues, not to mention an increasingly disgruntled and unruly populace in some areas. Of course, they can always blame anything they want on Uighurs, Tibetans, and Taiwanese spies. Oh, and the Japanese, of course.

Ah China, the Rise of the Great Middle Finger.

Sorry silly me.

The history department at Beijing University is one of the better institutions in China though.

[quote=“urodacus”]The PRC certainly have many advantages on their side over India when it comes to being the next superpower. One-party totalitarian rule, for one. Being a Police state, and without a transparent rule of law, for another. Plus a very sophisticated military intelligence and ‘agents provocateurs’ system, for a third. Not to mention a brain-washed, easily manipulated populace, very tight financial constraints including a non-floating currency and strict investment regulations, etc, as well as a totally subjugated media. And they’ve got Yao Ming. Don’t forget Yao Ming.

Still, they can’t have it all. They have serious resource, water and pollution issues, not to mention an increasingly disgruntled and unruly populace in some areas. Of course, they can always blame anything they want on Uighurs, Tibetans, and Taiwanese spies. Oh, and the Japanese, of course.

Ah China, the Rise of the Great Middle Finger.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s that simple, actually one of the Beijing’s biggest problems is a lack of control. The absence of a transparent rule of law and the arbitrary wielding of power by local officials is also an obstacle to development. But most of China’s problems aren’t really PRC problems, they existed before the PRC came into being and they will be there after it is gone.
However India’s problems seem even bigger, and the Indian state more impotent in dealing with them. The PRC has made better progress than democratic India.

In general I support India, and wish a plague of radioactive zombies on China.

However, I would also like to see Kashmir become independent. (Though Ladakh and Jammu should stay within India.) And I sympathize with the Christians and Maoists in Assam, Bengal, etc., who are fighting against caste Hindus. I support Muslims against Hindus in Gujarat, but Hindus against Buddhists in Sri Lanka, and low-caste Hindus against high-caste ones in places like Utter and Madhya Pradesh. In cricket I support South Africa.

India.

What about other potentials such as Russia or Brazil (or the South American equivalent to the E.U., the name of which I can’t remember, that is taking shape)?