Indians teaching English

Hey does anybody know of any Indians teaching English over here? Can Indians teach legally here? Would they need a teaching degree or would a B.A. in English be suffice? I know they speak a whole whack 'o languages over there and that English is the most widely used language in the subcontinent (at least my 1998 Lonely Planet backs me up on that one). But does Taiwan recognize India as an English speaking country? My friend’s English is pretty damn good and he would love to move here.

Hmmmmm…he also has a Masters Degree in Film/MultiMedia…anybody looking for a filmaker? Or at least point me in the right direction…thanks.

No. Taiwan does not recognize India as a native English speaking country.

Unfortunately, if I’m up to date, no. You can only get a work permit to teach English if you have a passport from certain countries and as far as i know, India is not on the list.

Yes, it’s illogical, but unfortunately, that’s the way it is. You could be a non-native speaker with a British or Canadian (etc) passport and get a work permit to teach English, but nationality is the deciding factor, not language ability.

Good luck to your friend.

Now if he had quals and experience in IT, it’d be easy to get work here.

He could probably get a job illegaly if he had some time to look around or if you or he had some connections.

But as was already said, you’ve got to have a passport from either the UK, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa to legaly teach English in Taiwan - or most other countries in this part of the world that pay well.