Indians Tell Indians to Butt Out of India's Internal Affairs

Wow. I didn’t think anyone could outdo the CCP’s exclusion of outsiders from having an opinion but this is a whole new level.

3 Likes

the scotsman in me resents this posting
#provemewrong

3 Likes

I got the best kind of evidence.

Ancedotal evidence!

2 Likes

aye, but they make the best scotch

1 Like

This is nothing. Famous cricketers (e.g. Sachin Tendulkar), Bollywood movie stars, and politicians all tweeted “MYOB” when Rihanna tweeted about the farmers’ protest.

A quick look at the top posts on r/india will demonstrate the quick rise in intolerance that is rampant in the country. In the past year, the internet has been cut off tens of times. Even mildly anti-government speech has been censored.

It’s hard to be optimistic about what lies ahead.

2 Likes

I know how it is to get told online, “You don’t live in Taiwan!”

1 Like

Yes, makes me worried when I think India is our best hope to balancing Chinese power in the long term. There is yet hope though I guess, the southerners are more level headed ime.

1 Like

Non-resident UK citizens were denied the right to vote on brexit. Another good example. It’s not like it would affect the lives of the 1.2mn UK subjects in the EU pre brexit.

Really? Nobody even tried to challenge the constitutionality of that?

Why does it matter whether India is a demcoracy or not?

A quote from the Guardian:

The high court has rejected an attempt to force the government to grant millions of UK citizens living abroad a vote in this June’ s EU referendum.

The legal challenge brought by two disenfranchised expats on behalf of those living overseas for more than 15 years was dismissed by Lord Justice Lloyd Jones and Mr Justice Blake.

To you, maybe not, but to Indian people it’s probably important.

Is your home country a democracy?

That’s not the point. Why does it matter whether India is a democracy or not when its use to us is to balance China?

“We’re” democratic, it helps working with like-minded people when trying to achieve the same goals.

“We” may or may not include you. I don’t know where you are from.

We simply substituted the Soviet Union with another Soviet Union that learned how to make money and leverage that growing buying power against us.

We don’t need India becoming Soviet Union III and having its leaders express its will from a top down perspective.

2 Likes

The point is democracies tend to behave better on the global stage. We substituted the Soviets with China and the mujahedeen. And now we have to support India anyway but I would prefer if the balancing force didn’t turn into another belligerent nation that we have to undermine in the future. I want lasting peace (Pax Americana or otherwise). I understand that may not be possible but I can still hope.

2 Likes

democratic peace theory

Remember Tom Friedman’s “McDonald’s Theory”? Ah, the halcyon days of the early 90s.

Friedman isn’t right on a lot of stuff given how much info he has access to.

But democratic peace theory actually holds very well empirically.

The recent ICRT podcast is worth listening to.

One of the first Indian immigrants to Taiwan described how stereotypes of Indians have changed.

Before:
Indians eat with their hands
India is hot.

Now:
Indians are smart
Indians are good engineers
Curry tastes good.