🌄 ♦ Indigenous Culture | Festivals

I don’t think it has much to do with tribes, but moreso little pockets of houses/towns (not just an indigenous thing) They exist everywhere. I have run into similar things as you in the east and south now and then. After working with them as well, it just seems like just generally there are shit hole villages with some nasty people, and that influences the community. We have villages we just give a pass on. Be it work, hiring, parties or even buying a supao

Easy to leave and avoid them knowing your wealth and home address. there are much happier welcoming housing groups just down the road 99.9% of the time.

2 Likes

Didn’t want to say this, but a lot of the hostility comes from Han Chinese tourists intruding.

3 Likes

Why should they? Not all festivals are for outsiders. We have the Homeyaya festival where you visit other people in the village and share food and drinks with them. It is for people who know each other not for random strangers.

Yes just repeat what I said already lol.

Anyway I agree that at some of these smaller festivals you will stick out like a sore thumb because , well, everybody is from that area and knows each other already.

Today is the Warriors Ritual in my village. To attend people had to register on for a spot. Limited seating and limited number of sports for those with cameras. This year I just watch from my office window. This will go on for many hours. Later on after the sacred rituals are completed outsiders will be invited to learn the dance moved and join in.

We had that wooden fence put up around my property as people would just walk in trying to get a place to setup cameras. No respect for the fact it’s private property.

For past few years now the police stop people from entering my place.

Also people are warned they are not allowed to run into the middle of the ceremony to take pictures. It’s a taboo. Those who do get removed from the event.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Awesome!

There is another one on 23rd in neighbouring village. Good thing is the road is level with the Kuba so people can see part of the ritual you cannot view from seating areas. I will attend.

1 Like