đŸ‡źđŸ‡© Indonesia | Bali - worth going ? Why?

Hawaii is good choice, in the near future in Bali you need be married to have sex

3 Likes

According to that BBC report, Indonesia’s new criminal code is scheduled to come into effect in something like three years. Lots of uncertainty likely to follow for visitors.

Guy

I found Bali to be peak overtourism. Polluted, unsustainable, crowded.

But now that there are no mainland Chinese or Russians there, I’d consider going back.

From the article it seems pretty bad. It says the new law bans non married couples from sharing a room. That means if you were going there to get married you’d also be forced to stay in seperate rooms.some countries still don’t recognize gay marriage so that means all the gay couples who cohabitate at home (basically married) would also be forced to stay apart. Bali is a huge wedding destination

2 Likes

Enforcement of this isn’t going to happen on Bali. While Indonesia is a muslim-majority country, Bali is a Hindu island.

I was just thinking about what happens if I go to Bali with my wife, how would they know that we are actually a couple and not just roommates or “very good friends”?

2 Likes

You get the bigger stick because you’re same sex.

It’s Indonesia, they’ll find an excuse.

1 Like

True, better stay away from there then. :face_exhaling:

1 Like

like this,

2 Likes

Bali is OK, i think. Bali is the only Hindu majority province in Indonesia.
No sharia stuff.
The reason why the suicide bombers think Bali as infidels heaven.

Only don’t come during Nyepi (one day in April usually)
You will be forced to be inside hotel for 24 hours.

Lmao what a joke

The view on top of Mount Agung seems pretty spectacular. Although if you want to spend your time on a tropical island hiking up steep terrain, the view on tip of Lombok’s Mount Rinjani is more amazing, with a volcano inside a volcanic lake.

1 Like

This is a national law though.

I don’t want to hedge my bets on probably.

1 Like

Which is why as much as I wanted to visit Bali this keeps me out. They like to cause trouble once every 10 years or so and I wouldn’t want to be there if something like that happens again.

I live here and I really struggle to find things that recommend this place as a holiday destination.

Point 1 is true. The huge, gridlock inducing buses full of Chinese group tourists are gone. Kind of a moot point because anywhere they go is completely worth avoiding.

Point 2. There are thousands of Russians here. They are everywhere. Until the recent reemergence of Touristus Australius , they were the most prevalent foreign nationality on the island (per immigration official).

The economy, generally, and the people, individually, are finding ways to recover from the effects of the pandemic. You will be hassled when you go to the beach. You will be hassled when you walk around Ubud. You will be hassled in all your random moments. That’s just the way it is.

Resort life, I don’t know.
Booze fuelled night life, I don’t know.

If you have nine lives and an international motorcycle license, rent a scooter and spent a week driving around the island. Spend more time through the mountains and north and west sides of the island and you will have more peace and quiet.

The food in local warungs is very good, but lower your cleanliness expectations.

As for the new law regarding cohabitation and extramarital sex etc, I imagine court challenges over the next 3 years before these would come into enforcement. The reporting mechanism seems a bit messed up.

Currently on Bali nobody really GAF about marital status or sexual orientation as long as you’re paying the bills.

That’s all I’ve got.

8 Likes

I was never too impressed by Balinese food. Always ate nasi padang when I could find it.

There is some nice ayam betutu (smoked chicken)
and Bali guling (roast pig) around Denpasar and Gianyar.

images (48)

images (50)

On the north coast there are great places for grilled fish and fish head soup flavoured with bongkot

Apart from Nasi Padang, there are also great warungs serving Javanese food where you pick your own items and pay accordingly.

In the early morning, there are often Bubur Bali (Rice porridge) sellers on the side of the road or at small stalls. This is also the time of day to find traditional rice and cassava based sweets.

images (51)

If you want a clean place to try a range of Balinese dishes find a location of the restaurant Kedaton.

6 Likes

I tried a lot of that stuff and didn’t like most of it. The babi guling was pretty OK, but I didn’t really like eating it at room temperature. I guess Balinese food and me just aren’t a good fit. I’m not really a fan of most Javanese food either. But I love Sumatran food.

1 Like

Are you thinking of the spicy rendangs? Or something else?

Guy

Rendang is awesome, also gulai
basically most padang dishes except for the fish.

2 Likes