Indonesian Restaurants (GTA)

Kind of overpriced and not terribly authentic, but OK in a pinch I guess. Out of the Indo places I’ve been to in Taipei, it’s one of the least offensive.

Their rendang sapi is insipid, which is a deal breaker.

Tried Jollibee back in Cerritos. Not the best Filipino food, but way better than Taco Bell…

The only authentic Indonesian food I’ve tried was in Bali, and I thought it was pretty amazing. Tried this one Indonesian place in Vancouver, that place was like a mishmash of Thai food and Cantonese seafood restaurant.

Because of this thread, I’m gonna try this place out tonight

艷麗南洋手作料理 Pondok Sunny

Mental, just mental… I’m sending a list of taco traitor names to Taco Bell Corporate. No-fly list, seriously.[quote=“hansioux, post:23, topic:40771”]
The only authentic Indonesian food I’ve tried was in Bali, and I thought it was pretty amazing.
[/quote]
The Indo food you get in Bali isn’t necessarily authentic, as you have a lot of Balinese chefs cooking Indonesian regional food with varying degrees of success. I had some really bad Nasi Padang in Bali. There are also halal concerns, as they often cook presumably halal food in the same woks they use for pork and serve them to unsuspecting Muslims.

The one I tried last night is a lot nicer than what I would expect of a hole in a wall Indonesian joint in Hsinchu.

3 Likes

Doesn’t really look like there’s much going on on the plate there, you got any details on your menu choice?

1 Like

The rendang actually looks pretty edible, but the rice looks like a short-grain Taiwan variety. Now that’s a deal breaker! Taiwanese rice doesn’t deserve to rub shoulders with rendang.

Sambal goreng kuah and the ubiquitous fried egg.
Sorry, not in Taiwan, though…

It’s like going from the rainforest and looking for tree frogs in the desert.
Why the feck would you do that? :slight_smile:

So, finally, after the kids nagging on my stripey ass for weeks, last weekend I broke down and threw a giant King Fuck Monster Mie Goreng Blowout, with some ersatz/fakey (but still well yummy) Ayam Goreng to go along with.
Holy crap, was it ever good.
One of those deals where you almost start crying when you realize you’re getting full and will soon have to stop eating.

I only mention it because I got a can load of leftovers heating in the bien dang box into which I’ll be diving shortly.

Unlike all you sad bastards.

You didn’t add telor, did you?

In fact I did NOT.
Certain family members harbour an unreasonable prejudice against non-breakfastarian ovoid consumption.
You got to play to the room, you know what I mean?

That reminds me of when this one Taiwanese friend, many years ago now, visited North America for the first time. Her hosts were taking her somewhere early in the morning and they went to a Denny’s (or analogue) for breakfast. The waitress asks her what kind of eggs she wants and she’s gobsmacked, and after a minute she says
“Uhhhh…chicken??”

Bagus sekali![quote=“Rocket, post:32, topic:40771”]
The waitress asks her what kind of eggs she wants and she’s gobsmacked, and after a minute she says"Uhhhh…chicken??"
[/quote]

I once got served a pair of eggs at Denny’s that were so small I suspected they may have been quail eggs.

taichung have some good Indonesian food near train station.

I just had myself the real deal in Jakarta , jealous much :)?
Oxtail soup, satay, sambal, this and that unknown fried stuff…

Had nasi lemak, fish head curry, and prata at PappaRich Civic Blvd yesterday. I recommend only because not much else in Taipei and because I even go there in Malaysia as do my Malay friends. The chili sauce really hits the spot.

Passed by 101 area the other day and saw a PappaRich over there too. Also a “Toast” something Malay-Chinese coffee shop type place across from the theater where Ireland Potato used to be, will give it a try one day.

Indonesian stall inside Longcheng market. Eat in at the stall, or take away.

Good range of dishes. Beef rendang, fish curry, some spicy vegetable side dishes, risoles, beef soup (a very strong marrow taste - good stuff), a nice spicy sambal. You can buy sambal to take home.

It is on the ground floor as you enter, near where the chodofu place is.

4 Likes

(new?) Place in Gongguan. Don’t know where.

Is it good?

Guy