Infant inguinal hernia

So the kid’s go to go to the hospital later today for a scan after his paedo discovered yesterday that he could have an inguinal hernia.
OK, I’ve looked on the Intarweb and they all seem to say its a minor procedure, home on the same day, nothing to worry about.
But all I can think of right now is I’m stuck in the office while some stranger in a white coat determines whether to knock my baby unconscious and stick a knife into his family jewels.
Has anyone else’s child had this?
This 'renting business sometimes is pretty nerve-wracking. :frowning:

[quote=“sandman”]So the kid’s go to go to the hospital later today for a scan after his paedo discovered yesterday that he could have an inguinal hernia.
OK, I’ve looked on the Intarweb and they all seem to say its a minor procedure, home on the same day, nothing to worry about.
But all I can think of right now is I’m stuck in the office while some stranger in a white coat determines whether to knock my baby unconscious and stick a knife into his family jewels.
Has anyone else’s child had this?
This 'renting business sometimes is pretty nerve-wracking. :frowning:[/quote]

Haven’t had to deal with that one, sandman, but I completely understand where you’re coming from. Can’t you take the day off work? It would be pretty low of them not to allow you, even for, well… I won’t say it.

Oh and, yes, parenting is tiring, stressful stuff. Get used to it. The best quote I ever heard was at the end of the movie Parenthood, which was basically along the lines of you being on a rollercoaster, whether you like it or not, so you may as well let go and just enjoy the ride.

Anyway, hope everything goes well.

Steady fella. Seen plenty of these, indeed it is a very, very common problem and operation, and I’ve never seen one go wrong. Yes, all intervention entails a degree of risk, but this carries amongst the slightest risk of something going askew as you could possibly hope for.

The main complication right now is calming dad. I’d suggest you nip out for a quick crafty. On medical advice, of course. Tell them Nurse Ratchett sent you.

As for the scary parenting bit, it doesn’t get easier with age, alas. Payback for all that mad shit you/we did as tykes. My 19 year old boy had his first muay Thai fight last night in Phuket and got taken out in the first round with a horrendously swollen eye. Poor bugger was horridly mismatched. When I called him minutes after he’d stepped out of the ring, he’s telling me he wants to get back in as soon as he can to get a win under his belt!

Great quote, Stu!

HG

From what I understand it is a minor procedure and the biggest risk to your child is probably the general anethesia.

It never gets better, but you’ll get used to it. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Haven’t dealt with exactly that, but I have sat alone in an out paitient room waiting for my Housekitten to come out of minor surgery. Absolutly, intensely, nerve wracking. (And they were fiddeling with bits on the upper end.) He was miserable and pukey from the anestisia for a while, but he was fine and over it long before I was.

Thanks. Stout fellows both. I’m calm enough, don’t worry – 7-11 has these wee quarter bottles of Grouse for NT$135, so I’ve already had a couple of craftys.
To be honest I’m now more worried about how the fuck I’m going to figure out how to install our new baby car seat when I get home.
Seriously, thanks HGC for setting my mind at (semi)rest, and I hope the lad’s eye’s OK.

That’s what’s worrying me as much as anything, unfortunately.

Yes that’s true, but they only need to use a very light anaesthetic where the wee one will still be able to breathe on his own, although they will assist with some oxygen. No need for the full tube and external respirator. That’s the scary stuff. You only require that when they have to paralyze you.

HG

In the meantime, I’d tell him to lay off the squats for a while and just work upper body, but I guess he already knows that.

My older boy had it too, sandman, and it really was not a big deal at all. His mother and I were worried that it would be at least a little sore/painful for a couple days while he recovered, but it honestly didn’t seem to phase him a bit. He was happy and full of energy and wanting to run around and play pretty much from the time he got back to the apartment.

That’s really good to know, Hobbes. Thanks.

That’s what’s worrying me as much as anything, unfortunately.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have clarified. The stats that I have seen say you’re slightly more likely to have an issue than get hit by lightning. Been hit recently?

That’s what’s worrying me as much as anything, unfortunately.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have clarified. The stats that I have seen say you’re slightly more likely to have an issue than get hit by lightning. Been hit recently?[/quote]

Sandman, I know it must be hard on you. Sandy will be just fine.

The GA is pretty bad (for parents). My son was 18 m/o when he went under and it was pretty nerve wrecking. In any case try to be there when the son comes out of the anasthesia, coz the kiddo will be woozy and a bit confused and it is really hard to see that. The only thing that helped me wrap my mind around the anesthesia was that they even give it to preemies.

Take care and keep us posted.

Thanks, divea. I’m feeling a lot less anxious now. Even if they decide they need to operate, I’m pretty sure they won’t do it right away, so I’ll be able to be there when its done.

Oh, must be nerve-wracking. He’s only a bebe!

You’re doing a fine job on parenting. What didn’t kill us made us stronger, right? That’s my philosophy.

Hugs and kisses for a speedy recovery. When I see Wee, he’ll get unlimited Xs and Os.

At least you are not waiting until he’s older to do it. All five of us -dear siblings- were born with hernias, and our parents were terrified of the operation. I had mine at 18 and I had the worst time. The others did it as teenagers but it was no fun. The last one had it as a baby - no scars, no trauma, no problem.

My dad had a double hernia operation at 60 and was home the same day. He wasn’t running around, but he did say he wanted to get back to work that very same day!!!
Our thoughts are with you all.

Reminders that I am Forumosa’s self-proclaimed hernia guru, having healed my own inguinal hernia, which just about any doctor will tell you is “impossible.”

You can get a hernia belt that has healing herbs in the pad by mail order from Xiamen. It comes in both child and adult sizes. The distributor in Xiamen is IPP International Inc. and you can contact them via telephone, Live/MSN instant messenger or e-mail. Herbal hernia belts price RMB 298 yuan for one kit. At the moment they only accept payment in Chinese RMB. I chatted with them in Chinese on Live/MSN messenger but they assure me they can handle enquiries in English.

IPP International Inc.
Mobile phone: +86-24-82161142
E-mail: pppharm at sina dot com
Live/MSN instant messenger/e-mail: ippsale at hotmail dot com
Product description in Chinese: Click here.

Hernia treating belts can also be ordered on line with payment by credit card from:

Chinese Medicine International Department,
Huaihua Red Cross Hospital,
No.216, Hongxing Road,
Huaihua City, Hunan Province,
China 418000
mentcm.com/indexe.htm (in English)
Product serial no: U08 Hernia Treating Belt, price: US$79.00

If you decide to try these, just make sure to read the instructions, bearing in mind that the baby can’t adjust the belt himself if it feels uncomfortable.

Check out the discussion group at herniaalternatives.multiply.com/

Chinese herbal medicine formulas for infant hernia: 中医治疗小儿疝气验方. DIY or ask any TCM clinic to do it for you.

Juba, thank you so much for that – your post is saved and bookmarked. He had a scan today and thankfully its not a hernia at all but rather a little fluid draining into his scrotum, which apparently requires watching but no intervention. He’s still on top form – ran into the table and busted his lip open tonight. Blood and screams. Kid’s stuff! I didn’t miss a beat!

Happy to hear the wee sandnads are fine. Give him a hug from his strange auntie B.