Information on Taiwan air crash (1970)

That’d work. I guess in 1970 there was no trail there. If it literally is Chatian Shan then it’s easy enough to hike to there.

1 Like

You could try the Taipei Hikers Facebook group, there’s a lot of experienced mountaineers over there that may know the region or who could put you in contact with some locals who are familiar.

I did a bit of Googling (插天山 飛機), and there is definitely talk of aircraft wreckage in the area on the mountaineering blogs, I couldn’t see if it was specifically related to this incident and I’m sure there has been many accidents over the years so the information below could be unrelated.

Good luck in your search.

The following is a translation from here:
https://www.keepon.com.tw/thread-6e74d6fc-0ed8-e411-93ec-000e04b74954.html?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

10:07 H1905. Lu Pingshan. Second-class triangle. A wreck of about 20 kilograms of aircraft remains, which seems to be part of the main rotor assembly of the helicopter (haha, I used to be a soldier in Army Aviation!). It is said that some of the US military aircraft wreckage remains in the nearby mountainous area. There is also a wreckage on the side of the Lara Mountain that seems to be the skin (the outer skin of the plane). Here, 14.5 kilometers to the northeast can be inserted into the Tianshan Mountains in the north, and about 15 kilometers in the southeast direction to the Lala Mountain. We are going to the Lara Mountain, where we have been moving southeast.

Here’s a photo of a triangulation point at (Lǔ péi shān - 魯培山) with what looks like a piece from a C130 rotor assembly:

3 Likes

LaLa Mountain is around 7000ft so could be a typing error.

2 Likes

Good find. Yeah there was a helicopter crash a few years before this one. Also US military. The article notes the area is known for dangerous wind shear.

The fifth paragraph has some more: “The plane hit the north-east side of Cha Tian Mountain, 2000 meters from where the same type of plane crashed 13 years ago.”

The passenger and crew’s remains were first brought to Luofu Elementary School before being returned to Taipei. It seems people from around there were enlisted to help transport the remains, maybe some would remember.

Later it says that search and rescue teams set out from the Xi’nei Police Precinct:

It mentions that helicopters couldn’t locate the wreckage at that point because of fog.

It seems that 南插天山 or South Cha Tian Shan is the peak they mean–it’s listed at 1,907 meters.

Lupei Shan is right there

2 Likes

So I guess you’d want to be asking in that area around the school and the precinct and then the road heading into the mountains, xiaowulai etc. 48 years ago, should still be some old people left.

Wow, thanks to everyone who is trying to help. You have uncovered more information than the family has ever been given in the past. Although the area may not be hospitable for hiking by us because of age, just seeing the mountainside, or visiting the school will be rewarding. We are arriving in November and will have guide. Any thoughts on finding those who maybe helped with recovery?

2 Likes

Any thoughts on how a novice like myself could translate the newspaper articles to English? I feel as though there should be easy method. I would really like to try and reach out to anyone who may have helped with recovery and thank them.

Thanks, trying to translate, this is exciting.

I would just have your guide ask around in villages around that area …maybe start at the local police station asking if they know anyone that might have knowledge of it. I think you’ll find if someone knows of something, they’ll be happy to help.

For translation, it shouldn’t be too expensive to hire a professional. Good luck!

Hi Chuck, if you need any extra help when you come here in November don’t hesitate to let us know. We have a lot of people in the community with hiking experience and good language skills.

1 Like

@Chuckos77
As for translating the articles by yourself, Adobe Scan might help.

I’ll try to take better photos if you would need.

1 Like

May take you up on the offer. Will work on trying to narrow the area. Did reach out to park dept and waiting on response. Thanks for all your help.

I will download and see if it will read. Thanks for the info.

Hi!

The crashed C-130 was on its way to CCK Air Base in Taichung.

Please check out this YT video.

A lot of Americans served in CCK Air Base during the Vietnam era leave comments there. I think you can try to contact them.

Or go to Their Facebook group. "CCK AIR BASE TAICHUNG TAIWAN that has lots of active discussion and old pictures of CCK. It currently has over 300 members. "https://www.facebook.com/groups/46595…

https://youtu.be/EPLTvuKYD-M

1 Like

Please also check out this blog. The blog is quite active, and they also have an active Facebook group.

I enjoy reading this site, since there’re lots of 60’s or 70’s photos of Taiwan.

12%20AM
For example, photos like this, it’s priceless.

And they also helped Taiwanese, born to Taiwanese mothers, find their long-lost GI Joe father.

2 Likes

Chuckos my Uncle Butch was on that plane.I was in the eight grade. I would be interested in what you find out on your trip. I don’t have have any information to help you. As you mentioned, this is more info than anything Ive seen either. Thank you to you and the other posters here.

2 Likes

what was last name of your uncle? Do you know if his remains were buried with the other passengers in mass grave at Jefferson Barracks? Will let you know if we find more information after visit.

Rex Bundy. No, he is buried in his hometown.
Also in Missouri.I didn’t know about Jefferson Barracks.I guess that was because they were undenifiable?

You are correct. The mass burial was for those who perished but were not indentified. Daniel Kritzer was one of those. Beautiful memorial in the cemetery. Was Rex a passenger or crew. Dan jumped on plane at last minute to avoid bus ride.