Information on Taiwan air crash (1970)

I was stationed at CCK Air Base from Oct 1969 through January 1971. Arriving as a group, having flown from Seattle-Elmendorf-Japan-Taipei, we arrived in Taiwan a very tired bunch of airmen. My group was the first to be flown from Taipei to CCK in a C-130. Prior to that, everyone was put on a bus for about a 3-hour bus ride to CCK in the middle of the night. Not only new arrivals to CCK, but also airmen who had already been stationed there, but may have gone back to the states on leave and were returning to duty, were shuttled on C-130s from Taipei to CCK. So, I had been at CCK for about a year when the horrible crash happened. Airmen at CCK knew someone on that plane who was returning to duty from leave. What happened immediately afterward has always haunted me. First, the wreckage could not be located, partially because there was already so much aircraft wreckage in that area. We were told that a special type of aircraft had been brought in from the Philippines that was being used to find the crash site. Then the blaming began. It was the maintenance crew’s fault! They were doing bad work because they were using drugs were the rumors being spread. A navigation device had been improperly serviced, we were told, by airmen that were not up to the task. It was their fault. Well, I read many years later, and haven’t found the report after that first time, that the pilot missed a navigation check after take-off in the rainy zero visibility and flew IFR into the mountain. It doesn’t bring anybody back and I am sorry for the loss of these good and young airmen who left their families behind. It is almost 50 years ago and I think about the impact on so many as a result of this crash. I pray that you found the closure that you were seeking in the mountains outside of Taipei. God bless you and your wife.

7 Likes

John,

Thank you so much for your note. Daniel had told his folks that he would be on the bus for the trip to CCK. It was only at the last moment that he put on the ill fated plane. It has been a blessing to hear from some who were affected by
the crash including the local people who assisted. As I mentioned earlier, it was wonderful to visit the region and see the beauty that surrounds the site. A truly fitting burial location and since his body was not recovered, we know he lays in rest in the
majestic hills of Taiwan.

Chuck

cid:image006.jpg@01D06D5F.C04989F0

1 Like

Hello and thank you for your efforts to locate the crash site. My grandfather was aboard that flight. Did you perchance mark the GPS location of the crash site? I would love to take a hike up there myself. I’m sure my mom would greatly appreciate it. I doubt I could convince her to go with me though, as 50 years later it’s still very much a tough subject for her.

Dale,

I wish we had been able to get to exact site but we were approximately 24.8299 latitude and 121.4240 Longitude.

I am so sorry that you lost your grandfather on the flight. Please pass along my condolences to your mother for her loss. Do you know if your grandfather is buried in the mass grave in St. Louis? What was your grandfather’s name? I will
tell you that the place of the crash is very special and it would be worth the hike. If you should ever decide to do so, we would be very interested in hearing of your success. Although we left flowers and a note, I would love to have something more permanent
placed at the spot. I have attached a couple of pictures of the mountain.

A close up of a hill

A close up of a plant

A group of clouds in the sky

cid:image006.jpg@01D06D5F.C04989F0

I just joined so I do not know if this is still active. I was stationed at TAS and participated in the retrieval of the October 2nd, 1970 C-130 crash.

9 Likes

I still look at the site at times and your note caught my eye. After having the opportunity to visit the site and meet some of the local people who assisted, it brought closure to my wife and her family. Although his remains were not recovered and his effects went missing, we know that the people who assisted in recovery had a very challenging job. Thanks for your service and the hard work of recovery.

6 Likes

I was just telling someone about this thread the other day. Interesting to hear from someone who was there, and glad again you had a good experience in Taiwan @Chuckos77.

1 Like

This Facebook group could also possibly be useful concerning this post. Many old timers on it.
Not sure how to post the link but can search:

Taiwan–NACC, MAAG, USATG, and Air America
Taiwan.