Ingredients lists: Is that milk or not?

I was just about to buy that “milk” at Carrefour:

But then I realized that the ingredient list starts with water as the first ingredient :face_with_monocle:
In most parts of the world this means that there is more water inside than anything else.

My girlfriend said, however, that the milk content is still 98% - and just because water is at first position doesn’t mean it’s more water than milk.

So what’s up with that “milk” - and how is one supposed to read the list of ingredients: Is water the main ingredient in that one or not? :thinking:

Water is the main ingredient in milk in general. Water comprises like 90+% of all beverages

1 Like

Sorry, should have clarified: I mean added water during production. Do they mix water and milk and milk powder and sell that as “milk”?
Or is it really just the natural water content of the milk that leads them to putting water at the first position?

The one I bought just says “Ingredients: 100% milk” on the label.

1 Like

That, you’d have to ask the company. I’d reckon some milks may powder the milk because a lot of milk powders have lactose removed for the lactose intolerant.

If there are other ingredients than milk, it is not milk. It can be a milky beverage.

3 Likes

It’s m*lk.

2 Likes

Rehydrated powdered milk?

I can’t believe it’s not MILK :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Probably milk powder base. Like most countries, FDA rules state that ingredients must be listed in order of quantity, so you are right in assuming this.

It rarely is to help lacose intolerant people, its mostly due to LOADS of milk that isnt sold and dehydrated for less waste and higher profits.

If i am buying milk, i also go with the brands that are single ingredient: milk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simpsons malk

5 Likes

I believe if you see this cow sticker on the carton then the milk is milk and not “milk” (powdered)

7 Likes

Maybe it was cat milk…

Or meowk.

2 Likes

Does rehydrated powdered milk like that even need to be in the fridge?

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Without a doubt

(I think DB means after you open it, you need to refrigerate it.)

I suspect it is no different to the UHT stuff, and could be just up in the aisle. Unless of course, they wanted it to compete alongside the pasteurised milk :wink:.

Yes, because of course bacteria can still grow in it. They don’t care if it was previously powdered and reconstituted or not, they just see nutrients…

Depends on how it’s dried and reconstituted, I guess. I suppose they could in principle remove sufficient bacteria and make it to have a similar shelf life as UHT milk (say, by irradiating the powder and/or just drying UHT milk, then reconstituting in sterilized water).

Don’t know how they actually do it though, and it’s probably the regular “milk” milk in the fridges that the reconstituted milk manufacturers want their products to be alongside for cosmetic reasons.

2 Likes

You could probably keep the unopened ones in the regular shelf, like UHT, if it is processed the way you mention, but once you open ANYTHING it should be kept in the fridge unless it’s super salty or sugary, like Vegemite or honey… the high osmotic strength of super osmotic foods pulls water out of the bacteria and they can’t grow.

1 Like