Input needed: portable AC ventilated through window

Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of changing apartments. I have the choice of a really homey looking place with large windows and a place that looks homey but lacks windows. The downside to the windowed place is that my room will only have a portable AC. The landlord acted like this might be a huge deal. What do you think? Is a portable AC ventilated through the window going to keep it cool enough that I can sleep at night? It doesn’t have to be super cold, but just enough that I’m not drenched in the morning. What do you think? Might be worth the windows.

Windows are definitely a plus! When you say portable, is it one of those that in on the floor with pipes out the window? If so it’s likely to be fairly low powered and possibly noisy. If it’s a swamp cooler that has nothing venting to the outside then walk away!

Thanks so much for your response! Yeah, it is one on the floor with a ventilation hose leading out the window. My current place doesn’t really have windows and it drives me nuts, but I also know that sweating to death at night would drive me nuts. White noise from an AC unit can’t be so bad, can it?

Given that the entire unit will be inside the apartment it could be quite loud, if you can have the landlord turn it on to get some idea of the noise level, bearing in mind it will seem a lot noisier at night. The compressor turning on and off could also be quite loud.

Do you know if it’s 110 or 220V? If it’s plugged into a standard socket then it’s 110 and likely to be quite low powered. I guess the only thing you can do is go on a hot day and have the landlord demonstrate how effect (or not) the unit is.

Great! Thank you so much for your input. I’m planning to go test it out.