Inputting chinese characters using a writing tablet?

i’ve heard of a device for inputting characters to a computer by writing them on a tablet with a stylus of some sort. can someone recommend a product that does this? who sells it and for how much? thanks a lot!!!

Windows Vista has Tablet PC options that allow hand-written characters when using a Tablet PC and the built-in language/international text input options.

I don’t know if the same would work just using a regular PC & a Wacom graphics tablet, but it might be possible (I’m pretty sure I saw the Tablet PC options in Control Panel on my parents’ Vista desktop).

The cheapest option for a decent graphics tablet is the Wacom “Bamboo” for about $80. Maybe Best Buy would help you set up Chinese input on a computer & test out the graphic tablet w/it. Otherwise you could just buy & return.

No idea how this might work w/Macs though.

Someone bought me one. Apparently, it was on sale for C$20, which includes the writing pad and software. Works OK. If you’re close to a Chinatown, walk into any Chinese-run computer store and they’ll have it. Should be somewhere around $50 (less, if it’s a generic brand, more if you want fancier software or bigger writing pad).

Just googling around, I found this link: chineseypage.com/shop/gatewa … 20Site.htm

i forgot to mention that i have a mac. yes, i’ll check out the local chinatown, but it’s always good to come in informed to avoid being ripped off. thanks for your replies!!

yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/in … s.html#HWI

Chinese Mac addresses pretty much every Mac-related Chinese language angle you can think of - and the Google Group is full of helpful people for any questions that aren’t answered on the site.

[quote=“sjhuz01”]Windows Vista has Tablet PC options that allow hand-written characters when using a Tablet PC and the built-in language/international text input options.

I don’t know if the same would work just using a regular PC & a Wacom graphics tablet, but it might be possible (I’m pretty sure I saw the Tablet PC options in Control Panel on my parents’ Vista desktop).[/quote]

Yes it does work. That’s what I’m doing.

I know guys who spend all day on the computer (in Chinese) and never touch the keyboard.

Quite common wherever you have HK Cantos, since a staggering number of them have no other ability to input characters.

HG

You don’t need the keyboard to press ‘play’.

I’d like one, just for English input. I can’t type for shit, despite the insano amount of practice I get. I loved the touchscreen on my old phone which had Word on it.