Inside scoop on dominionism (ala documentary "Jesus Camp")

dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/10/12/105122/66

I found this a fascinating read. Creepy, but fascinating.

Aside to jdsmith: thanks for turning me on to dailykos! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not going to refute someoneā€™s personal account, but I have my doubts about how big a problem this is in the grand scheme of things. Yes some out there try to justify persecution of gays, blacks, jews, muslims, illegal immigrants, etc. with extreme religious views. However, I think for the most part these problems exist throughout society and arenā€™t unique to the ultra-religious.

redandy -
Too true.
Look how the ultra-leftists seek to vilify(sp?) Christians and those with a different political course then themā€¦ :idunno:

I donā€™t find it particularly worrying; itā€™s just a slightly bizarre quirk of American culture. However, after seeing ā€œJesus Campā€ and then reading this, I do feel sorry for those kids.

Ironically, thereā€™s a striking similarity between the kinds of ā€˜campsā€™ the writer describes and some sixties/seventiesā€™ communes Iā€™ve read about.

We all need a home away from home. :laughing:

Well the initial shock wore off about 20 minutes into the film.

Interesting things I recall:
85% or so of home schooled kids are evangelicals. (The whole evolution/creationism part of the film blew me away. However, the preacher at the near end said, ā€œOne side gives them, ā€˜Youā€™re monkeysā€™ and we give them, ā€˜God made you and He loves you and has a plan for you.ā€™ā€

Good marketing.

The revival camp was scary and I hope their whole thing isnā€™t soley based on guilt. making the kids cry and confess their sins was child abuse IMHO.

The woman preacher was liar when she said we donā€™t mix religion with government, when 10 minutes before we saw a fullsized cutout of George Bush that the kids were praying for/to.

I canā€™t help but believe Bush looks at this and goes, ā€œGeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Just send money and shut up.ā€

This reminds me of 1989 when I drove to South Carolina to see some Dead shows with my GF. We stopped at her sisterā€™s place. Her husband, Bubba (I shit you not) looked at my Dead stickers on the car and said,ā€œThatā€™s Pagan, man. Youā€™ll go to hell for that.ā€ Then we went off an bought some hubcap cleaner for his truck. Afterwards we went home, drank beer and smoked pot.

Itā€™s a good movie.