Instead of the bible

Instead of the bible, this is a more condensed teaching: http://www.chick.com

Bonus #1: they have an interesting take on the Pope and on Catholicism.
Bonus #2: inexpensive
Bonus #3: available in many languages, including both Blue and White Hmong, and Waray-Waray

In The Beginning
Here’s how God created the world, including dinosaurs.

It’s Coming
Noah’s flood … it’s true! Here is how it happened.

It’s The Law
The Ten Commandments … no one can obey them perfectly. That’s why we need Jesus.

The Visitors
Two Mormon missionaries learn the truth about their church.

Gomez is Coming
Gomez is an imprisoned gang leader. Before he is to be released, his kid brother is killed in a drive-by shooting. Everyone expects Gomez to get revenge, but a chaplain leads him to Christ. In a surprise ending, Gomez forgives the killer.

The Death Cookie chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp
Introduces Catholics to the real Bread of Life, Jesus Christ.

[quote]
And what do I care for the needs of christianity? We’re trying to help you think bigger, and you’re trying to smallify everything. Free your mind, instead of being limited by your own ideas.[/quote]

And are you saying that Christianity has not produced big thinkers?

I think Martin Luther King Jr or even Martin Luther himself might have something to say to that.

Grab axe, begin grind. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote]
And what do I care for the needs of christianity? We’re trying to help you think bigger, and you’re trying to smallify everything. Free your mind, instead of being limited by your own ideas.[/quote]

And are you saying that Christianity has not produced big thinkers?

I think Martin Luther King Jr or even Martin Luther himself might have something to say to that.

Grab axe, begin grind. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Misunderstood.

The purpose of this post is to propose alternatives to only getting your ideas from or in relation to christianity. I’m not bagging christianity or great the christian thinkers who challenged the narrow and/or superstitious beliefs of the churches leaders at various times. I’m simply pointing out that christianity is not the be-all and end-all of intellectual (and not-so intellectual) thought.

To reply purely in terms of what this concept means to christianity is missing the point. I’m not out to reform christianity. I couldn’t care less whether the church flourishes or dies. I am merely suggesting that as an individual our friend (or anyone else bothering to read this) may benefit from looking beyond his religion.

[quote]Misunderstood.

The purpose of this post is to propose alternatives to only getting your ideas from or in relation to christianity. I’m not bagging christianity or great the christian thinkers who challenged the narrow and/or superstitious beliefs of the churches leaders at various times. I’m simply pointing out that christianity is not the be-all and end-all of intellectual (and not-so intellectual) thought.

To reply purely in terms of what this concept means to christianity is missing the point. I’m not out to reform christianity. I couldn’t care less whether the church flourishes or dies. I am merely suggesting that as an individual our friend (or anyone else bothering to read this) may benefit from looking beyond his religion.[/quote]

Ok, point taken, but it might work better if every reference to Christianity wasn’t so quickly poo-pooed. :slight_smile:

Fiction:
A Confederacy of Dunces

I’m not sure if this counts, but I find books like Guns, Germs and Steel and A Short History of Nearly Everything make me feel spectacularly insignificant. In a good way :slight_smile:

Haven’t read the first one, but I agree with you about Bryson’s book. A Short History is a good one. :thumbsup:

I was telling Thomas Hobbes just the other day that I wish I had read Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman when I was in high school. I think it would have altered the direction of my life. (Not that I have any complaints mind you.) It’s not a religious book, but just having somebody being straight and not trying to pump themselves up is very refreshing.

Absolutely. I agree with this recommendation too. Surely You’re Joking is not only full of entertaining stories, but it also proves that it’s possible for a person to remain humble and down-to-earth no matter how smart/famous/accomplished that person is.

I remember that there is a Spanish expression that says something like, “There is no book so poorly written that it doesn’t at least have something good to say.”

I thought it a very poor expression at the time in my Spanish class and still do. However, John Grisham got knoked back about 8 times before his first book was published so there is probably something in it.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Divining that will give you the line in the sand that ran and loretta are not prepared to cross in order to kiss and make up.

I’ll show him the other cheek…my butt cheek.

After all that’s gone on today, I went back to (albeit quickly) reread this thread to see what books Loretta himself recommended…not a one. Am I wrong?

I find it ironic that one who has put forth such an argument as he has, has not given us a title or two to ponder.

If I missed it, my sincere apologies (No chum here).

Actually I didn’t want to be standing there saying “Here is what I think you should all read.”

I wanted, and still want, to know what other people recommend. As well as the bible, that is.

A few random suggestions:
Pretty much anything by Ursula LeGuin.
Most of the works of John Irvine.
None of Paul Theroux’s travel books, but most of his novels.
All the hitchiker’s guide series.
Everything ever written by Terry Pratchett.
Most of Joseph Conrad’s novels.
Richard Bach’s earlier works.
Arthur C Clarke’s later works.
Anything by Carl Sagan or Stephen Hawkins.

Oh yeah, and The Dice Man.

Not all of these will automatically make you a better person, but sometimes they will ask uncomfortable questions.

If you just want to become a better person and find a solution to all your problems then may I suggest you start with ‘Sailing for Dummies’ and go from there to a few travelographies written by ordinary people who succumbed to the boat bug.

I listen to “Sympathy For The Devil” or “Enter Sandman” before I start my day.

Two books that have had an impact . . .

Awakening the Buddha Within (non-religious approach/guide to Buddhism)

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test (Tom Wolfe on Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters)

As a whole I approach a lot of books as a tool or means by which to stimulate my brain so . . . I am either entertained, provoked to thought, or bored. It frustrates me when people dismiss things for their outward appearance without taking the time to see what is within - judging the book by its cover literally. There is an awful lot of material to stimulate personal thought, reflection, and knowledge cloaked in the guise of religion. (And I am not a religious person at all - Christian, Buddhist or . . . . otherwise) I just believe that you get out of something what you put into it so when I approach a book or for that matter a person with an open mind I usually learn something about life and myself when I dont well . . . I still learn something . . . usually that I have to try harder to keep an open mind.

That said there is still a lot of garbage out there.

[quote]I’m not sure if this counts, but I find books like Guns, Germs and Steel and A Short History of Nearly Everything make me feel spectacularly insignificant. In a good way
[/quote]

I for one love feeling small and insignificant. And I’m pretty good at it too.

This reminds me of a book called, “All Things Great and Small” written by James Herriot a country vet in England. It is full of funny anecdotes about his life in the country.

[quote]A Confederacy of Dunces

I can’t decide if this a personal threat or an expression of desire. Either way, bub, you are NOT entering me.

“The Celestine Prophecy” by James Redfield had quite a big impact on me when I read it about nine years ago. The sequels were goofy, though.

“The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran is definitely a good, spiritual book.

Like a couple of other posters have mentioned, the Dalai Lama’s books are very much worth reading, except for a few that are meant only for the serious Buddhist practitioner and not the lay-person. His autobiography is actually a very good place to start. He is definitely an amazing man, and one that I hope I have the great honor to meet in my lifetime.

Chinese philosophers like Zhuangzi and Laozi are also good reads, albeit a tad on the esoteric side for some. Victor Mair’s translation of the Zhuangzi is the best, IMO (based on the Mawangdui texts).

“Atomised” by Michel Houllebecq. The humanity you share with the rest of us is a wonderous and terrible thing. If that’s an interesting theme to you then you’ll love this book

The blurb on the back says, “A novel which hunts big game while the others settle for shooting rabbits”.

Three hundred and sixty five pages and I read it in one day!

I’d start with something simple like “The Little Prince”.
Failing that, one can always try reading the Bible in the nude.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote]
or even Martin Luther himself might have something to say to that.

:slight_smile:[/quote][/quote]

Typically I avoid any religion bashing . but martin luther thought the devil was LIVING IN HIS RECTUM!!!
great thinker