Instead of the bible

“The Naked Ape” by Desmond Morris profoundly affected me. So did “To Have or to Be” by Erich Fromm. Two off the top of my head. Can’t remember how many people I’ve recommended the first to - but it goes beyond the digits I have to count on. And I think one or two (people, not digits) actually followed up on the suggestion. :wink:

Weeeell, I’m a Christian (I respect other people’s beliefs too, and I don’t push mine down their throats) so the Bible gives me solace.

Another book that changed my perspective on things was “Disgrace” by J.M. Coetzee. An Aussie friend gave me “The Wasp Factory” by Ian Banks to read. Wierd, but though provoking. In the Science Fiction realm I’ve enjoyed reading the Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov.

I haven’t read any Buddhist literature, but I have watched some of the programs on cable (with the sub titles). Not really my scene, but good for you if it is.

Read the Q’uran at one stage and truthfully it didn’t do anything for me either. However, a mate of mine back home married a muslim girl and converted to Islam. He used to be a catholic and seems quite happy now.

So I guess the moral of my story is, read as mjuch and as widely as possible. When you find something that gives you growth, makes you wonder, or somehow enriches or changes your life…good on you…

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Typically I avoid any religion bashing . but martin luther thought the devil was LIVING IN HIS RECTUM!!!
great thinker[/quote]

[quote=“Ernest Jones, Sigmund Freud’s biographer,”]Freud was fond, especially after midnight, of regaling me with strange or uncanny experiences with patients

[quote]Quote:
I listen to “Sympathy For The Devil” or “Enter Sandman” before I start my day.

I can’t decide if this a personal threat or an expression of desire. Either way, bub, you are NOT entering me.
[/quote]

Not everything’s about you.