Institutionalized racism in the US and elsewhere

I’m just not going to engage with someone who behaves like this continually. I suggest you do the same from now on.

In that case, I wish you a pleasant day. :bowing:

1 Like

A day later…

1 Like

Andrew has lived in Malaysia tell us about your extensive experience living there too. I have a lot of friends from Malaysia, so I get their perspectives. Where do you get yours from? Your childhood in Malaysia? Which country are you from again?

1 Like

I believe starting with a pot of money and getting your kid into an ivy league school is the biggest determinant of success.
Hence the obsession with ivy league schools there.
The situation in America is complex because a lot of immigrants coming in are prequalfied for wealth and education . The number of refugees let in is miniscule. America in reality is now only welcoming a certain kind of migrant.

I agree America is one of the least racist countries in many ways. It’s quite astonishing to see all the Indian and Chinese tech CEOs for example. Voting Obama in , twice, is not an outlier. It means a lot.

It’s harder in some ways not to develop racist views in the EU population because of the type of immigrants coming in and the absolutely massive flows overall , but Europeans are , overall, getting there too. Ireland voted in a second generation Indian Irish prime minister for example.
Asia and Russia …Forget about it.

4 Likes

Agreed, there are enough studies now to show having an Ivy League degree doesn’t equate to success when pooling students who were accepted to Ivy leagues and chose another college (possibly for scholarships) They end up making a similar amount of money at different points in their careers.

Yes In that way the US is becoming more like Canada allowing select immigrants who are more affluent.

Thats good progress assuming he was voted because he was the best person for the job.

Well we don’t have direct elections for prime minister but yeah he was a fairly popular candidate. We don’t do racist stuff in the media like in the UK . Every country in the EU has a different vibe going on it is quite diverse.
I’m sure it is fairly diverse in South and central America too.
And the same of course for US states.
America and Canada and the EU tend to enforce anti racism laws which is where they stand out.

1 Like

Obama’s election 2x doesn’t mean that there is less racism or more , it does mean he was able to successfully sell himself to the public on his own credentials.

America has yet to deal with it’s institutionalized racism. It’s making strides but it’s also clinging very very hard to it’s old way.

1 Like

America is dealing with institutionalized racism
Taiwan is dealing with institutionalized racism
Mexico is dealing with institutionalized racism
The EU is dealing with institutionalized racism
Canada is dealing with institutionalized racism
Korea is dealing with institutionalized racism
Japan is dealing with institutionalized racism
Argentina is dealing with institutionalized racism

America however has made great progress and continues to do so. No one said its perfect but hey Black African 1st Gen immigrants are the must successful group in the US now, then Indian Americans(from India), then E+ SE Asians then Whites. What other country outside of Africa are black African immigrants now doing better than the Whites or natives? Why can’t you celebrate this?

BTW you realize the despicable institution of Slavery was not a US story of the 19th century but a world story right? Its just that the US makes movies about it and talks about it more than other countries feel comfortable to and would rather not mention their own stories about Institutionalized slavery whereas the US is open to discussion and shedding a light on her past mistakes. Take a look at the institution of Slavery around the world and when it ended in different countries. You might be surprised.

Ask yourself which other country’s story of Institutionalized Slavery are you familiar with outside the US? Why is that? Nearly every country/empire/ had the Institution of Slavery in the 19th century. Some like Great Britain ended it 20 years before the US, many ended it the same time as the US some 50 years after the US (20th cent)

2 Likes

It absolutely means there is less racism are you kidding! Weak! It is absolutely an indicator of how racist a country is. Would a black President be voted for in Mexico? Let alone twice. A Native Indian Non White Mexican President? Would a black president have been voted in the US 60 years ago? Would you see a Black President in Brazil? Japan? Are you going to see a half Vietnamnese pres in Taiwan anytime soon? How about a Half Korean PM in Japan? How about an Aboriginal president in Australia? Why do you keep attacking the US only as racist and not fairly comparing it to other countries?

Tell me which countries you think are clearly less racist and immigrant friendly than the US and come at me with Facts. BTW do you know that Mexico has some of the harshest Immigration/Illegal Immigration laws in the Western Hemisphere? Why is that never mentioned?

It looks like someone mentioned it to you. :slightly_smiling_face:

How much does Mexican immigration law affect people in the US vs. American immigration law affecting people in the US? Just do the math.

Btw non-rhetorical questions, out of curiosity: is this based on a list of maximum penalties for equivalent violations in different countries? How superlative is “some of the harshest” supposed to be?

How does Mexico Treat immigrants escaping Honduras, Nicaragua (escaping violence) and El Salvador trying to create a new life in Mexico? But yes please continue your Only the US is racist and the rest of the world is not racist nonsense. Ever heard of Zapatistas in Mexico? How are they treated by the Racist Rich White Spanish Mexicans who control the country’s political machine and businesses?

Uh yea the United States is obviously a racist horrible place for African, Indian and Asian Immigrants who are succeeding better than White Americans economically (in both business and corporations) and in the education system. Heck I know lots of Latinos that are very successful too, from everywhere Mexicans, Cubans, El Salvadorians. One of my friends is a Police Officer in LA originally from Honduras (Legal Immigrant) Really great guy.

How many African or Indian CEO’s in Mexico again running their biggest corporations? I see a lot of very White Pure Spanish blood Mexicans in those positions… As a 1st Generation Immigrant to the US Myself whose never felt racial discrimination in 30 years of living in the US. I have a Vietnamnese friend who grew up in Arkansas he said hes never been discriminated against either.

What country are you from again?
How long have you immigrated to the US for?
Where exactly does your knowledge about US racism come from?
How many friends do you have from Mexico?

1 Like

A lot of whataboutism in your posts which take this thread continually off track.

Dude, I posed a rhetorical question to try to answer yours. Your question was why Mexico’s supposedly among-the-harshest-in-the-world immigration law penalties are never mentioned.

Let me try to make it clearer for you.

You’re apparently talking about mainstream American news. They don’t cover most things that happen in the world, mainly because (1) not enough people in the target audience care, (2) there isn’t enough time, and (3) there aren’t enough resources.

Of course those aren’t the only reasons. There’s also (4) humans need to be kept ignorant so that when the alien invasion comes they’ll be fat and clueless and ready for the harvest (:yum:), but that’s a global thing. Specifically in the US, wrt immigration law, it’s American law that most people care the most about, so of course that gets the most coverage. When Mexican law changes in a way that’s expected to affect the US, that’s more likely to be reported, but when Mexican law stays the same, it’s not exactly news.

If you mean not why is it never mentioned in the American MSM but why is it never mentioned in random interweb debates like what we have here, your best bet is to share the information with us. I mean real information, in response to the two non-rhetorical questions I asked. Those questions again are

And Mexico being Mexico (and the US being the US), we should also ask, even if the penalties are superlatively harsh, to what extent are they actually enforced (and how does that compare to actual enforcement in the US)?

If you can answer these questions, great. If not, we can’t just assume you’re correct.

Oh and btw…

1. Rigel VII.
  2. Who the :banana: said I did?
  3. I wasn’t even talking about that.
  4. See number 3.

The important point there is that the elite is educated in the U.S. and use as excuse du jour whatever policies the U.S. Is following to justify their stupid reign.

So we have people like the latest Bolivian «president», who as an extreme Evangelical, advocates getting rid of all indigenous population because of their diabolical rituals… Truth be said their lands full of rare metals and water are worth a fortune, but for a country that has been pillaged by foreign corporations that owned 95% of its production, and has had millions of local indigenous peoples slaughtered because of religion, anti communism and drug cartels infighting, that is Xiao case.

1 Like

You’ll find no argument from me that the CIA crookedly used and installed a hand full of dictators for their own nefarious gains for decades, in SE Asia, in Latin America. Kissenger knew what Pol Pot was up to and wanted to work with him. Most of that stuff never gets talked about by the media until its bungled and half the world knows. It Has nothing to do with the American people, we dislike what they did too and how they lied to us into the 2003 Iraq Invasion and created Al Queda (AKA the Database of Mujahadeen Fighters to context the Soviet incursion into Afghanistan). Perhaps even arming Strict Sunni “Freedom Fighters” in Syria. We know the CIA ran drugs or were involved in Drugs too, are they involved with the cartels? Cant say id be surprised if it finally gets on the news a few years from now.

I would agree that there is an Elite around the world that support each other and care more about the money/power bestowed in their club than the Citizens of their country. Some of them even feel like its their turn to be President and it was Owed to them…owed by who?

While I get your point, i.e. (most) Americans don’t intentionally vote for XYZ to happen, you can’t just completely disconnect yourself from the system by saying don’t blame me I didn’t know the ________ regime was going to be that bad when I voted for it, because if you keep going down that line, responsibility becomes more and more elusive, until no-one is responsible for anything.

You have a democracy. Own it.

2 Likes

It may be better than almost any place in the world, but it’s all about the free stuff now. Repatriation? Hell, yeah!

Every race has occupied ever major government job in US except President, the president before this one being black. USA had a major general who was ‘Chinese in 1985. US had a black general in the 1950s(Chappie James).

Latino, Chinese, black and Indian have all run or are running for President. Anyone who cannot see how unracist USA is should leave and live in Asia, Africa, Latino, Muslim countries.

“There have been millions and millions of Chinese-Americans but zero American-Chinese” says Harvard Chinese author Eric Liu. Not 1 foreigner has ever been granted citizenship in PRC or any of its predecessors. If you die in China you must be cremated. Only Chinese can be buried in China. Even dead, foreigners are discriminated against.

The subject of a US racism thread in hyper-xenophobic Taiwan is ironic, laughable. My advice- go live in Asia, Africa, Latino, Muslim countries. then come back and tell us how it is.

3 Likes

In some places yes… Some are pretty advanced. I felt Europe it was far worse and more obvious. Out here in Joisey eveyone gets along more or less. Well, some parts of Newark not as much. But mostly.

1 Like