Intel dun goofed

Processor microcode firmware for intel 986kb plus new kernel, kernel headers etc. pushed into my updates right now.

Should I or better not?

I didn’t notice any difference with the updated kernel for mint 18.1. Just installed the firmware for the intel i3-4160, we’ll see how that goes. Restarted and booted ok.

1 Like

Again, I can’t notice any difference, but just doing internet/word processing/light gaming and stuff.

Got around to doing the bios update after not noticing much difference with the windows patch.

But noticed after testing stability that my CPU runs quite a bit hotter. I have an i7-7700k in a m-itx rig so it already ran hot before, but now is getting to a point where it is unacceptably hot.

I tested beginning of January after windows patch and after stress testing for 1 hour temps would peak at 85C. Tested again yesterday and CPU peaks at 91-92C.

Noticed a small drop in fps, especially with CSGO, prob about a 5-10% drop, but that I can live with, it’s just the increase in temp which has got me annoyed. Guess it’s about time to delid, otherwise I am sure my rig will catch on fire this summer.

My next PC will have AMD Ryzen CPU.

xD

The hint was right there all along!

AMD is up almost 30% in the last 30 days.

amd

Good last quarter results gave Intel a good boost last week. This bug will probably affect Intel in the log run though. Biggest problem are their big data center customers (cloud) who lost a lot performance and their users complain.
Also their handling of this problem is terrible. They deny any wrong doing and release buggy patches.

1 Like