Intel or AMD?

Buy a console then if you must, use that for games, and keep what you have for whatever else you use a PC for. Then you don’t have to worry and be “really afraid” about performance issues. Xbox Series S is about $300 USD at the moment, gone up a bit for Christmas, wait til January.

You’ll spend the wad of cash and it’ll make no difference to your life anyway because most game engines end up relying on a single thread.

I’d rather spend that money on a four star hotel for a few days down the East Coast or something, but each to their own.

Yea I rather spend that money on a flight out of Taiwan anyways… I like to spend a month away from noisy ass scooters (why do they even allow this shit??)

Maybe I should just buy some RAM. DDR4 sticks are getting cheap, can get 32 gigs for less than 2000 now. That would help a lot with overall system performance (extra RAM ends up becoming DRAM cache for your SSD).

Kind of, but not that much. 16GB dual channel is fine. The more capacity RAM you have (per stick), the longer it takes to refresh so you might end up creating a bottleneck there.

So if you have four slots, better off 4GB each than 16GB on a single stick. That would probably be a worthwhile investment.

I have 64GB in this machine, and most of it is just spent reducing my battery life. Funnily enough, I usually SSH from this machine onto a Raspberry Pi Zero and do stuff on that, so this machine was a poor, poor investment realistically.

Running Chrome: PhysMem: 10G used (1568M wired, 0B compressor), 53G unused

Running Cyberpunk 2077 and Chrome: PhysMem: 27G used (9576M wired, 0B compressor), 36G unused.

Note: this has integrated graphics, so the graphics memory is included in the “wired” amount above. The “wired” value is actually what is being used, the rest is cache and other bloat. In other words, 12GB capacity would have no problem with what I’m running now.

If I’m going to buy a console, not going to waste my money on an xbox. Any games I want to play on the xbox is on PC. I’d want a PS5 because PS5 seems to have more and better RPG selections, and lots of PS exclusive games too… But I hate consoles because I can’t mod it, can’t cheat, and all that…

I only heard about bottle necking, and how if your GPU load is consistently low it meant your CPU was bottlenecking.

I only have 2 RAM slots, so I can’t just buy extra RAM, I’d have to replace what I have. Thought about getting a used 8th gen intel motherboard with 4 RAM slots and a M2 slot, but that’s extra money spent with zero performance boost.

A friend tells me just save my money and don’t do anything.

Good friend, absolutely agree. Buy him/her a drink.

While I’m indulging my own interest, this below is my 2006 PC - way overspecced for what I use it for. Ironic for an 18 year old machine that I bought for $30 USD, but if I spent real money on it, I"d probably remove a bunch of RAM and sell it if it was worth anything.

Running Chrome and Spotify:
CPU: 0.3% user, 0.0% nice, 0.0% system, 0.0% interrupt, 99.7% idle
Mem: 232M Active, 412M Inact, 833M Wired, 494M Buf, 22G Free
Swap: 3664M Total, 3664M Free

Sounds like some Reddit bullshit

What operating system are you running? I bet Windows 11 wouldn’t even work because it requires TPM 2.0 to work.

Can you play Cyberpunk on it even if you jammed a 3060ti in it?

Indeed.

I use the unstable, unreleased version of FreeBSD on this one. It’s a Mac Pro 2,1, and the latest Mac OS that it will even consider running is Snow Leopard. It doesn"t support EFI or anything like that, so there was some intense hackery just to get it to boot any operating system. Eventually FreeBSD worked. Windows 10 did work, but it’s slow and not very interesting, and I have a few other machines that run Windows anyway.

I did try Windows 10 and Cyberpunk 2077 on this machine but Cyberpunk 2077 crashed on launch for some reason. It has a modern GPU but I think the old CPUs are missing some execution sets required for the game.

I wanted to try running Cyberpunk on it via wine-proton compatibility layer on FreeBSD, the same way how the Steam Deck does it for Linux, but if it won’t run natively on the hardware in Windows then there’s not much point, and I didn’t fancy spending any more money (thousands of dollars probably) on hardware just for a single-use hobby project when the game runs fine on my Xbox.

I’m bored of the game anyway, but trying to get it to run on various bits of hardware is kind of fun. It’s like the new “will it run Doom?”

Yea I keep seeing all kinds of posts on the Windows/DOS groups on facebook getting all kinds of embedded system to run Doom, like a CNC machine, ATM machine, etc.

I mean honestly I just wanted a more up to date platform but I think Moore’s law has more or less leveled off, and that computers take longer to go obsolete now than before. I could actually play Cyberpunk on a 1050, though everything on low and a crap frame rate, but it’s playable. Before this, I had a Radeon HD7770 for quite a long time, never bothered to replace it.

Depends what you use them for. The “hardware race” is slowing down now with the death of crypto, they’re trying to re-market that dead horse with AI but that will lose interest soon too (aside from the cultist-fanatics who are the true danger)

Aside from computing, notice this as a spending habit (which I have too) and instead put the money you’d have bought on this complete shite into a jar or a bank account and let it build up over time, either for a rainy day, or for when you do need to replace your hardware in maybe ten to fifteen years time when most new applications are running on ARM hardware and Linux-based, potentially.

Inter or AMD

quite a controversial question in 2023 because since ryzen is there and intel is on peak so its tough to choose between both

Well back to 2020 i chose Ryzen 7 2700 and the performance is nice but in the gaming side it kind of bottlenecks because its a 2000 series cpu, also its not overclocked and sits at the base clock speed which is 3.2ghz

Now its an all rounder cpu in my opinion and the new amd cpus are better than before

Intel somewhat is overpriced and amd is a budget valued

I’m skipping on the CPU upgrade, instead used the money to buy a ac/DC Tig welder. So now I can listen to back in black while I’m welding aluminum panels.

I still wanted to make a smoker out of an old lpg cylinder though. Maybe I can attempt to elongate my computer case by cutting it in half and welding in extra panels, like the way they make stretch limo. This is to future proof the case as they’re making really long gpu now and my current gpu barely fits the case.

Maybe I’ll add some ram to my current computer, not sure what it will do. It’s already 16 gigs.