Intellectually Honest & Dis-Honest Debate Tactics

[quote=“Chaon”]I’m guilty of posting endless puerile sophistries that I cobble together from FreeRepublic, while pretending to be an intellectual authority on all political, economic, and firearms-related issues.[/quote]Chaon -
Do tell…you’ve done a splendid job of hiding any purported intellectual authority from public view. Shed that bushel and share your expertise. If you actually have something to say…say it boy…don’t hold it in.

You’re guilty of that too? Good grief, there’s Freepers everywhere inside the wire, man! Broken arrow, repeat, broken arrow![/quote]
HGC -
As to this “Free Republic” strawman you and your new minion have been bringing up, what is your point? I have no control over where articles I might reference may appear on the web. Are you really trying to make some point by showing that someone there has also selected to discuss this article? If so, what point? Does this somehow threaten you? Poor Lad… :roflmao:

Now you have your new follower parroting this line. A new convert for ya…lol…it is becoming quite laughable. Though I guess a bit of levity should be appreciated.

I am laughing at the predictable decent into word parsing occurring. Understandable really, with nothing outside their skill set its safe to play to their strength. So that is easily understood.

Chomsky or Alinsky…whateva gets ya thru the night…right?… :discodance:

I blather on about the liberal slant in the mainstream media, then I post World Net Daily links and expect people to take me seriously.

One guy used to do that. I forgot his name. He would start posting volumes and volumes of utter crap which nobody read, but by the time you finished scrolling past it, you forgot what the subject was in the first place.

[quote=“Chaon”]I blather on about the liberal slant in the mainstream media, then I post World Net Daily links and expect people to take me seriously.[/quote]Chaon -
I used to refer to WND as ‘World Nut Daily.’ In the same league as DEBKA, IMO.

However in the last 3-4 months they have dramatically upgraded their content. Better writers, Thomas Sowell for one, have come on board and they have lowered the high-pressure ads on the site. I go there on links to read some authors.

In judging a site, its good to remember the difference between “news” sites and “commentary/opinion” sites.

For some, this is an impossibility.

One guy used to do that. I forgot his name. He would start posting volumes and volumes of utter crap which nobody read, but by the time you finished scrolling past it, you forgot what the subject was in the first place.[/quote]

That was me. I parsed my protracted replies in such a way as to prevent meaningful discussion from ensuing. That’s because my only interest was in antagonizing people and being a dick.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Chaon”]I’m guilty of posting endless puerile sophistries that I cobble together from FreeRepublic, while pretending to be an intellectual authority on all political, economic, and firearms-related issues.[/quote]Chaon -
Do tell…you’ve done a splendid job of hiding any purported intellectual authority from public view. Shed that bushel and share your expertise. If you actually have something to say…say it boy…don’t hold it in.

You’re guilty of that too? Good grief, there’s Freepers everywhere inside the wire, man! Broken arrow, repeat, broken arrow![/quote]
HGC -
As to this “Free Republic” strawman you and your new minion have been bringing up, what is your point? I have no control over where articles I might reference may appear on the web. Are you really trying to make some point by showing that someone there has also selected to discuss this article? If so, what point? Does this somehow threaten you? Poor Lad… :roflmao:

Now you have your new follower parroting this line. A new convert for ya…lol…it is becoming quite laughable. Though I guess a bit of levity should be appreciated.

I am laughing at the predictable decent into word parsing occurring. Understandable really, with nothing outside their skill set its safe to play to their strength. So that is easily understood.

Chomsky or Alinsky…whateva gets ya thru the night…right?… :discodance:[/quote]

I’m sincerely pleased to see you finally getting in on the joke! :thumbsup:

HG

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
The term ‘Intellectual dishonesty’ has been around, but ‘Intellectual honesty’ doesn’t make any sense. It’s honest or it’s not.[/quote]

It’s such an idiotic phrase. It’s a useful marker to know when to switch off and go find the interesting folk, though.[/quote]

I disagree, sort of. In the context of an online forum where a person’s past positions are still accessible, I apply ‘intellectual honesty’ to someone who came clean on things that they have been glaringly wrong on in the past. Six years ago I argued (not here) that WMD’s or no WMD’s, the U.S. could establish a stable Democracy in Iraq that would be a beacon for change throughout the middle-east. And I think it would be intellectually dishonest for me to say now that my previous view was correct, but that Bush screwed it all up. Or that my previous view was correct, but HGC screwed everything up by giving comfort to America’s enemies.

Likewise, if someone magically morphs over the years from:
“There is no global warming, and only stupid Libtards think there is.”
to
“Global warming is not anthropogenic, and only stupid Libtards think it is.”
then that person is not being intellectually honest in not explaining the contradiction.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
The term ‘Intellectual dishonesty’ has been around, but ‘Intellectual honesty’ doesn’t make any sense. It’s honest or it’s not.[/quote]

It’s such an idiotic phrase. It’s a useful marker to know when to switch off and go find the interesting folk, though.[/quote]

Those who have spent some time in the dungeons of the ivory tower know well the machinations of the intellectual hordes, and how it is taught to aspiring graduate students. The only crime is getting caught.