INTERESTING READ: My family learned from Mao's terror. The U.S. should fear the cult of

Not sure if this should go in US Politics, Taiwan Politics, or International Politics (because it’s mostly about fleeing China). Whatever the case, the choice to leave a comfortable life in Taiwan for an immigrant life in New York is tough – it may happen all the time, but it’s still tough

金窩,銀窩,不如自家的狗窩。

Jīn wō, yín wō, bùrú zìjiā de gǒu wō.

“Wherever you go, home is where the heart is”

1 Like

Excellent piece, and right on point. Thanks for that!

There’s a lot of things to be concerned about, but Maoism comparisons just seem silly no matter how you look at it.

4 Likes

Enough events prior to the Capitol event to warrant the comparison. Capitol siege wasn’t an arbitrary event, it was the sum total of a movement that shares significant overlap with Maoism.

Writer gives lots of examples:

“citizens being branded enemies of the people” (check),
“persecution from a cult-like leader” (check),
“a state ruled by a cult figure” (check),
“blood thristy mobs” (check),
“state media and propaganda elevating [Mao’s] status to that of a cult figure” (check),
“many people that spoke out were imprisoned” (check),
“anti-intellectual fervor” (check). "

the duration and severity were different; obviously one movement was rooted in a different ideology than the other, but there is lots of overlap. The article comes from a family that lived through it directly, so I would think they should be afforded the respect of being treated as credible witnesses of these events.

1 Like

Well, we could start with the fact that Mao and his followers doggedly pursued a decades-long communist revolution and overturned an entire social system just to be in the position to launch the Cultural Revolution. An extra couple of hundred police could have adequately protected the Capitol and that article presumably would not have been written.

2 Likes

What those people did was shameful, maybe you can at least say Trump put fuel to the flame. But he never directly called for it and made it clear he wanted them to stop.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a bad situation, but I feel like it was overblown. They looked like a bunch of drunk morons to me and not some coup or terrorists.

I don’t think this is anywhere near what Mao did. But at least it’s refreshing to see something other than hitler comparisons. Maybe pol pot can get some love next time?

3 Likes

He directly incited mob violence on several occasions over a period of years. If you read conservative media, this was a planned siege. In the works for weeks. Drunk wahoos don’t have trucks with pipe bombs.

Days afterwards, only when pressured by his political party. It is obviously not sincere or trustworthy.

A violent seditious mob storming the Capitol calling for an overthrow of the US government that killed 5 people, including cops. Continued threats against US government officials, an extension of 4 years of violent threats (Whitmer et al), blocking hospital entrances. If these aren’t serious, when does ‘serious’ begin?

They looked like terrorists staging a coup to most of the world. On what basis are you making that distinction?

True. The scope and severity have been less (so far), but that is largely because COVID slowed MAGA’s roll.

Totally. The states and china are leagues apart, even if the US is having growing pains. Maybe a better comparison is Xi being just as scary as Mao…but the 5 cent army fools would be castrated and organs sold if they wrote about that obvious fact…

1 Like

Are you suggesting that this family that lived through both events first hand are wrong? The author listed a bunch of pretty compelling reasons.

No. Literally right after. Not days after.

I think your mind is made up so no use talking to you.

I certainly am, isn’t that clear?

It’s clear you are.

I would tend to take the word of people that lived through the event and witnessed it first hand, but we all see things differently. The author made some valid comparisons, no one has proved them wrong or even addressed them.

Well, not sure why you even responded to me then. Are you seriously saying that they can’t be wrong?

Nice edit after I responded by the way.

I said I’m more likely to trust someone that experienced the events first hand, and the author has made valid points that show comparisons that have gone entirely unaddressed by those attempting to refute her article.

EDIT: The author is obviously not drawing a straight line comparison. She is saying this has happened before, there are a lot of clear similarities, and the US should take note and be afraid of this.

You must being seeing different pictures than the rest of us.

2 Likes

Or maybe she has an agenda?
Lots of possibilities.

Her email is listed at the bottom of the article. Why not ask her if she has an agenda or not, and what it is? Otherwise, that is a baseless assumption.

LOL, never heard of hidden agendas I guess.

What an odd comment.

I didn’t say I haven’t heard of hidden agendas, I said you are making a baseless assumption this author has one.

I always assume everyone has a hidden agenda.