Intermittent lag in Firefox

I don’t know what happened lately, but for some reason, there’s always an intermittent lag with Firefox. Basically when I do something (type a message, scroll a website, or click on a link) there is a momentary freeze before the computer lets me do something that would happen about once every 15 seconds. If I am typing something the message would be queued while the computer freezes, then appear all at once once it’s done freezing. This only happens with Firefox, not IE.

I do not know if it’s a virus or something… I scanned it with anything I can think of and still nothing.

Check your add-ons/toolbars and remove any you don’t need or don’t know exactly what they do.

Have you cleared the cache lately?

Lag is often caused by having an older version of flash too. Make sure the browser and flash player are both up to date.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]Check your add-ons/toolbars and remove any you don’t need or don’t know exactly what they do.

Have you cleared the cache lately?

Lag is often caused by having an older version of flash too. Make sure the browser and flash player are both up to date.[/quote]

I did all of the above, it’s not so bad when the computer just started up, but as soon as I visit facebook and play Mafia Wars, this problem won’t stop (and in some cases a restart doesn’t solve the problem!)

Firefox and Adobe flash is up to date… is there a better flash software out there? I suspect the flash software is buggy.

Ahh TaiwanLuthiers today is your lucky day, because I have a silver bullet for you on this one - and interestingly enough considering the number of people who have this problem, it’s amazing the fix isn’t more publicized (and more amazing Firefox doesn’t do something about this).

The problem is the autosaving tabs functionality that saves tabs every 10 seconds in case the browser crashes. The more tabs you have open, the worse the stutter. And it most clearly manifests itself when you watch CPU intensive flash video.

So the fix is to type about:config in the address bar, then search for browser.sessionstore.interval, set that to however many seconds you want x 10000, so 60000 would be one minute per save. I’d go with something like 5 minutes, so 300000.

This drove me NUTS for years until I finally figured out wtf was going on. Glad to save someone else the same frustration.

Thanks man

That solved the problem. I thought I had a virus or something.