International Avenue Consulting Company (IACC, I@CC)

Here’s a new website for English teachers in Taiwan. Apparantly they do job placement, particularly primary and secondary schools if you want out of the buxiban scene.

IACC

I get the impression it’s Taichung based and Canadian run, by a bloke called ‘Ed’. Looks like their discussion forum could use some action.

I got a sample of their T&C a while ago. Didn’t look good. A lot of emphasis on holding money back until you “finish your contract” and an almost unbelievable stipulation that the majority of the tiny holiday allowance must be taken during Chinese New Year. I get the feeling that a prospective newcomer would be much better just getting off the plane and checking into the nearest hostel for a week. A jolly splendid experience to boot. My first week in Taipei was spent with a kung-fu fanatic who tried to burn down a hospital whilst stealing drugs, an ex-Miami cop (interesting bloke called Wolf (was it you Wolf!?), an “ice” addict (remember that short-lived craze?), and a comatose hippy who “managed” the place. (Happy Family 4). The phone never stopped ringing with English teaching work.

Don’t quite know what these places such as IACC are supposed to offer newbies.

Quote from International Avenue (currently advertising for English teachers on Oriented)

The parents are ignorant (Forgivable? Not by me!) and so are the schools (Definititely unforgivable) - International Avenue’s answer is to go along with their ignorance, thereby reinforcing it. “We’re not racist - it’s the parents!” [quote]2) You must be from a Native English country - IE: Britain, Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand [/quote]

i.e.? Didn’t they mean e.g.? When will people realise that the best English in the world is spoken in Ireland?

Recommendation: International Avenue should change its name to Provincial Cul-de-Sac.

iacc.com.tw/contract.asp

General Terms

I, ____________________, hereby accept that I am to be employed by International Avenue Consulting Company (IACC), and that my duties and responsibilities are to them, and the school that I am employed at [Hang on, I thought I was employed by IACC?]. I agree that I am to be employed by IACC for a period of one year the period from _______________ to ______________.[Oh, I am employed by IACC - make your minds up!]

I understand that International Avenue Consulting Company (IACC)has entered into a contractual agreement with the school that I am to be employed at. [Relevance ? This other contract is not incorporated here, so why mention it?]My duties will be to teach English at the school contracted to IACC. [So, I’m employed by IACC to teach at another place, sounds like an agency contract]I agree to abide by the conditions, requirements and provisions of the school, [So I’m signing up to terms and conditions that I have no knowledge of ?]and to perform my duties to the best of my abilities.

Service Charge

During the first three months of employment NT$8,000 will be deducted from my monthly salary to a total of NT$24,000 as a service charge. [Why? I thought IACC was my employer - so it’s definitely a service contract - you’re providing a placement service to me]The service charge will be returned to me upon completion of my contract as an additional bonus. [Why? Is it a gift ? But I’ve paid for your services and you don’t want the money now ? Oh I see it’s a penalty - but it appears to be based on the non-performance of some other contract which is not incorporated or referred to in this contract. Or perhaps it’s the contract between me and IACC ? Who knows? I don’t and I’ve got a bloody law degree !]

Any TEACHER who does not complete their one-year contract [which contract?]will forfeit their service charge paid to date.

Placement Services

The TEACHER understands that the Placement Services offered by IACC are a means of facilitating the TEACHER

And it gets better

How is that a bonus??

So no holidays unless you find a substitute?

Let me guess. China Airlines!

So you’ve gotta do their recruiting for them and you’ll only get paid for it if that teacher stays there a year.

Nuff said!

OK, I work for IACC. Or rather I work for the school that IACC sent me to, eventually. Who knows? My school is great, but they can’t get me an ARC, so I have to work through an agent.

I’ll let you know when I eventually get my ARC. I’ve only been here since June.

For information: IACC is ‘run’ (in the loosest possible sense of the word) by Joshua, out of Taichung. The Canada connection is more or less your imagination.

Several of my friends were considernig coming out here to join me. I’ve told 'em not to. 'nuff said?

Well, I finally did it! One too many salary screw-ups, a week of not replying to my polite queries, and I walked - although I did manage to talk to someone at the last moment who did the old ‘zero options’ routine. “This is the way we work, what are you going to do?”

My decision was already made in anticipation, and I don’t really expect to get the three weeks salary they owe me. My choice I guess, but under extreme provocation and not really much of a choice.

They went right ahead and cancelled my work visa, but didn’t bother to tell me. I called to ask about it, and couldn’t get a straight answer - I can never get past the switchboard in any case. Finally got email confirmation today, but their attitude is really getting my back up.

So I’m (claiming to be) penniless, unemployed, and not allowed to be here much longer. The only ticket I have will only get me as far as Hong Kong, which is hardly an improvement. And, besides, It’s only 2 months since I put down NT$15000 deposit for an apartment, which I will lose along with my salary, tickets etc.

After taking time out to think about this it seems that my options were either to let them continue lying, cheating, manipulating etc., or to be pushed out of the country at my own expense. And I’m not accepting either one without a fight.

I went to the British pseudo-embassy and they checked for me - no formal word has got to the police yet, and once it does they write and give me seven days to split. I don’t know if that’s seven days from issuing the letter, or seven days from when they catch up with me and make me acknowledge receiving it…

But that’s not really the point. If I have to I would rather co-operate with the police in taking action against a company hiring a lot of illegal workers. (Most of them don’t speak English as a first language anyway, and that’s not good for those of us that are trying to do this properly.) I think that’s only fair and proper - the law should be applied fairly and the authorities should investigate ALL allegations. Putting the bastards out of business is in everyone’s best interests, but I strongly suspect that they’re too well connected for that.

So the threat of action means nothing and until it does I’m homeless and a lot of money out of pocket. So what can I do? My original contract is apparently (see previous posts at this site) unenforceable through conventional means, all I can do is try and bring pressure.

I stopped by the Foreign Worker’s Counselling Center today and they’re willing to have a go at getting some cash for me, but I’m running out of time. Apparently ‘deportation’ translates as ‘rot in jail until someone shows up with a ticket for you’ so I would rather avoid that if I can. But the alternative is to let the bad guys win.

Suggestions?? Thoughts? Phone numbers for boot boys?

Thanks in anticipation…

Another victory for Taiwan’s banana republic mentality. Deport the victim. Reward the lawbreakers. Pocket the brown envelopes. Who’s for golf ? Next please !

All agencies should be avoided like the plague. Every time a potential teacher hears of an agency, my advice would be to just think of licking the fetid pustules on the underside of a dying bubonic rat. Agencies = dying bubonic rat. Easy. Unfortunately the agencies are now expanding into the target countries from which they wish to recruit their victims, as no-one in their right mind actually in Taiwan would go near the likes of IACC.

I was just wondering if there are any teachers out there who have used the services of this recruitment agency.

I have been trying to get them to pay me for the past 4 months when my contract expired. Money which I have earned.

They don’t owe me a lot but I think it’s the principle that counts. Joshua (the owner) has been ignoring all my emails and phone calls and gets his (undrpaid) staff to deal with it all.

In on of IACC’s last email to me they wrote “i think we have done more than enough for you”. My thought on that: not adhering to the contract which both parties have signed IS NOT doing enough.

If you have dealt with IACC before I would like to know what you think.

Just go to his office. Say “give me my fucking money you tight prick, I’ll wait 30 minutes for it, and then I’m leaving. If I leave without it, I’ll be back with the police”.

Brian

Showing up in person is a great idea. Threaten with the foreign police!

Or

You can show up there. Pretend nothing happened in the past. Say hi Joshua…Thanks for helping me get started in Taiwan (give him some face). Keep smiling, I appreciate it. Do some small talk. Then say, oh, by the way I am here to get that 10,000 or whatever I forgot to get from you. Dont forget that Joshua is a president of a very succesfull company. By Taiwan standards that alone gives him respect. And…YOU WORKED FOR HIM. He was your boss!!! I am not saying this is how I THINK this is HOW THEY THINK. Smell the coffee!

White lies is how this society gets by. I’ll bet you can erase everything said in the past by doing this. Can you abandon years of western culture and your ego?

We also had problems with IACC. Smart of me, I let my girlfriend handle them. She smiled at them all the way to the bank and they owed us 1 month pay each, deposits, bla bla bla. We have the money now and I know if I ever needed to call Joshua for a place to stay I in Taichung I could.

This is how it works here. That’s all I’m saying.
Good luck.

Ha ha, aha ha. Ha ha ha. You are fucking joking!

I do not know anyone who has worked for that person and has no complaints. The ones I know who have tried to be nice to him are the ones who spent the most time bitching to me about how he was walking all over them.

Paying people properly and treating them with respect is how you earn my respect as a boss. You can make all the excuses you like about cultural differences, the point is that the money should be on the table and no one should have to go through this crap with these people.

Face: Have had Weiwei pushing her face into yours and saying “Fuck you” repeatedly before you advise anyone to give these people face.

It is very convenient for many Taiwanese outfits that foreigners are told to go softly-softly and be all smiles in any dispute. One look at the Taiwanese legislature should be enough to dispel that myth. However, it is always worth trying the softly-softly approach first, preferrably with plenty of thinly veiled threats. But I would accept that IACC would be sufficiently well connected to make any threats of the law or police pretty pointless.

I can only imagine it appeals to complete idiots, or people who can’t be bothered to read the small print, or have no experience of the real world.

If you are willing to work for peanuts under a contract which would be unenforceable in Europe or North America, my own personal opinion is that you’d get a lot more out of going to China. Attempting to get by under those conditions and for that money in Taiwan would be sheer misery.

Half-literate idiots like this:

[quote]Well my fine feathered friends and foes,I thought I would through my two bits worth in.I am working for IACC and I admit they may not be the most organized people to work for but I am have no regrets as yet.I have gotten frusrated with them, but as in the classroom, patients must prevail.I have to wonder about the people who make negative posts,sounds to me they are money hungry ,inconciterate and selfish people that do not care about anything except their own gains.As far as…

eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sef … -87530.txt[/quote]

It comes from Dave’s ESL Cafe Job Information Journal. There are plenty of other interesting posts about IACC, too. Click here if you want more.

You’re sitting at home in Canada, USA, England or wherever and find out about IACC. You apply, get accepted and leave for Taiwan. During the time it took to apply and recieve an answer wouldn’t it occur to you to do an itsy bitsy internet search on these guys. Surf on over to Dave’s ESL Cafe, Tealit, Forumosa and you’ll see the bad experiences, allegations and general bad feeling directed toward these guys. I don’t have first hand experience of IACC and haveno idea of how true the allegations are, but if it were me reading the stuff I’d probably go looking elsewhere…

Don’t these people do any research on the country or their future employer?

Yeah you guys were missing the point. I didnt mean you SHOULD respect them. I mean, ACT like you do. It’s a big show in this country. People walking around pretending. I guess thats how it is everywhere…

Threatening will just make it longer and harder to get your money. When Taiwanese people have control over you (in this case with money) their heads go through the roof! You gotta give em face!

My gf worked at a hotels back in TO. She can smile you through the wall. If you want lessons PM and we’ll work out a price.

PS. I dont like IACC. I wouldnt reccommend them to an enemy.

THEY DID PAY US EVERYTHING THEY OWED US WHEN WE LEFT OUR CONTRACT HALFWAY-THROUGH

We’re talking at least NT200,000 for 2 people. They paid EVERYTHING. Attendance bonuses, deposits (all those things we shouldnt have gotten because we killed the contract before 1 year was up)

We gave one months notice. Thanked them. And that was it.

I didnt talk at all, it was my lovely smiling gf. The school we worked at had other teachers in our same situation and they couldnt get anything in the end because they were rude.

Well, looking at Wix’s quote, if that poster is any indication, I don’t think these guys are too up on the `ol reading thing. :unamused:

[quote=“stevieboy”]Yeah you guys were missing the point. I didnt mean you SHOULD respect them. I mean, ACT like you do. It’s a big show in this country. People walking around pretending. I guess thats how it is everywhere…

Threatening will just make it longer and harder to get your money. When Taiwanese people have control over you (in this case with money) their heads go through the roof! You gotta give em face!

My gf worked at a hotels back in TO. She can smile you through the wall. If you want lessons PM and we’ll work out a price.

PS. I dont like IACC. I wouldnt reccommend them to an enemy.

THEY DID PAY US EVERYTHING THEY OWED US WHEN WE LEFT OUR CONTRACT HALFWAY-THROUGH

We’re talking at least NT200,000 for 2 people. They paid EVERYTHING. Attendance bonuses, deposits (all those things we shouldnt have gotten because we killed the contract before 1 year was up)

We gave one months notice. Thanked them. And that was it.

I didnt talk at all, it was my lovely smiling gf. The school we worked at had other teachers in our same situation and they couldnt get anything in the end because they were rude.[/quote]

Your gf should be in business. I can’t count the number of times I would have paid handsomely for someone to out-Taiwanese the Taiwanese for me ! :wink: