International banking/investment

I’m looking for advice on opening an international bank account or international investments. Most of the big international banks have won’t accept expats from Taiwan according to their websites. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this matter, or just any advice regarding international investment? I don’t want to have all my money invested in Taiwan and being an expat, I can no longer invest in the UK. Any suggestions would be welcome.

HSBC, Standard Chartered, Citibank etc all accept expats.

Go to HK and open a bank account, HSBC is there as well.

Those are two dramatically different things, so if I may ask, which one is more to the point of your purpose? Are you just trying to do banking at a large international establishment, or are you planning on making investments on the American exchanges?

If it’s the former, I always recommend HSBC. If the latter, Interactive Brokers is very friendly to international accounts and allows every type of investing imaginable from straight stocks / bonds / ETF’s type investing right through to options and futures markets. It doesn’t matter where you’re from or where you live, you can always open an account and trade through them.

If you meant option 3, as in having a banker connected to a major international bank manage some investments for you, I would advise against that as the industry as a whole has quite thoroughly proven not to be very good at returning money to investors. But that’s for you to decide. HSBC for banking, or Interactive Brokers for trading. You can’t go wrong with either of those…

I dunno, I use HSBC for some stock trades as well. Limited to HK and the US, however ADR’s are ways of getting exposure to other markets.