International book shipping?

I’ve tried Amazon.com, but they don’t ship to Taiwan. Does anyone know of a company that ships books/novels, NOT teaching books, to Taiwan???

That is incorrect. Amazon does ship books to Taiwan.

I imagine that Sleepingtiger may have tried buying used books from Amazon’s “Marketplace” (3rd party sellers listing through Amazon), and the interface for the Marketplace routinely rejects attempts to buy from Taiwan.

Sleepingtiger, just google for the book and any of countless other sellers, or go to one of the other big sites like abebooks, powells, alibris and so on).

I’ve bought from Amazon a few times in the past. There were no hassles.

The Page One bookstore in the 101 has shipped books for me that they didn’t have in store or in their other Asian stores. Seriously, they’ve been amazing.

Book Depository. Free shipping worldwide, ship to Taiwan. http://www.bookdepository.com/

2 Likes

While BookDepository still seems to be a good option for having new books shipped without delivery costs, I wonder if there is something like Amazon’s Marketplace for used books, but without the shipping fees? I used to buy a lot of secondhand books from Marketplace, but the shipping costs to Taiwan make it cost-prohibitive. Other options I found in the forum found so far, are:
-only for new books
-not in operation anymore
-with much smaller selection of used books (i.e. coming to have a look if there is something interesting is ok, but when looking for a specific book seen on Amazon Marketplace it will most likely not be available in the other store)

Wondering if someone know what’s working in 2020, or if everybody switched to eBooks (which I do not like for technical literature).

Thank you and cheers,
Fabian

In my case, almost entirely e-books, 90% Kindle.

But note that right now is a bit of a bad time to be looking. Covid-19 has messed up shipping rates and times in unpredictable ways. What’s crazily expensive and/or slow right now may be fine in a few months.

1 Like

Ah good to know, I was not aware that shipping rates were affected, as well! Thanks for the quick response!

1 Like

How do the prices of new books from Book Depository with free shipping compare to used books plus international shipping? I’m not a fan of Amazon at all, so Book Depository usually gets my business if they carry it. Otherwise, I buy from the publisher, but that’s not cost effective.

Book depository is now owned by Amazon.

Now… Since 9 years :smiley: (but wasn’t aware of it, thank you!).

Depends on the age of the book and the selection on Marketplace, but it’s not uncommon to have the used book for a third (or less) of the original price, and this includes shipping already. Since I usually buy quite expensive technical books (~50€ / 1700NTD original price), for cheaper novels the shipping cost ratio is probably much less favourable.

Not a big fan of ebooks, though… Will probably wait a bit to see how shipping costs develop when the pandemic subsides (haha, development of shipping costs should probably be my least concern in this situation, but well…)

Cheers,
Fabian