International debt collection in Taiwan

Does Taiwan have debt collection agencies which typically handle local debts on behalf of overseas creditors? If so, what are the major international debt-collection agencies here?

What are the salient Taiwanese laws about enforcing overseas debts–for example court process, debtor protections, regulation of debt collectors, etc.? (I don’t suppose that U.S. credit card companies are in the habit of subcontracting to Taiwan mafia types…?)

Am I right in suspecting that collection from overseas would generally not be attempted, since the chances of getting money are low relative to the cost of collection?

Is it considered more feasible to collect here on a court judgement overseas, or to rely on a local legal judgement of debt?

I suppose that overseas debt, from banks or creditors based not in Taiwan, can’t be collected in Taiwan.

Talk to KGI group. They have an collection agency, though in tune with the rest of KGI’s operations they seemed a bit shady and not exactly gentle. But, then i would imagine it wold take someone tough to collect bad debts in Taiwan

Da Ge and Associates. In partnership with the baseball bat and the bamboo union. No money? How about a few fingers?

Belgian Pie, why do you say that?

If an overseas company hires Da Ge and Associates, would this not expose them to lawsuits, regulatory scrutiny, and horrendous PR in their home country? (Perhaps they ought instead to sell the debt to Da Ge…)

Because I don’t believe you have a legal foot to stand on …

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Belgian Pie, why do you say that?

If an overseas company hires Da Ge and Associates, would this not expose them to lawsuits, regulatory scrutiny, and horrendous PR in their home country? (Perhaps they ought instead to sell the debt to Da Ge…)[/quote]

Even a local company is exposed to serious lawsuits when they do …

Don’t know.

Don’t know, but I suspect it may be possible – just very time-consuming, frustrating, expensive and uncertain. Probably not worthwhile unless the debt exceeds US$50k or so.

It would definitely be far easier to collect a debt from a Taiwan debtor by suing in Taiwan, obtaining a Taiwan judgment (assuming jurisdiction and venue are proper and you have a strong case of liability and damages), and collecting the judgement in Taiwan, than to try to collect a foreign judgment.

Incidentally, the inverse is also true. If a foreign debtor lacks assets in Taiwan, the Taiwan creditor is better off suing its foreign debtor in the debtor’s home country (assuming jurisdiction, venue, etc) and enforcing the judgment there. International debt collection can be a pain in the ass, but it’s worse with Taiwan, since it’s not really recognized as a nation. To enforce a foreign judgment anywhere one has to go through a whole second legal proceeding to establish that the judgment is valid, the debtor received proper notice and opportunity to participate in the proceedings, and the second country should enforce the judgment of the first country. That second proceeding may be as troublesome (or more) as the initial trial itself. Thus, better to sue in the country where the debtor’s assets are (assuming you have proper jurisdiction, etc. there).