International Driving License Question

I am a Canadian with an Int’l Driving License for cars and have a question regarding my International Driving License.
If you are in Taiwan for less than one month, an International Driving License is valid. After one month, they are not valid unless you go get them stamped at the DMV, as I am told.
My question is, since I hold an International Driving License:
Can i get an extension AFTER my initial 30 days here on the License?
I have been here for almost 4 months now, and wonder if I can still get a stamp on it to make the License remain vaild until it’s stated 1 year expiry date (June of 2006)? I’d like to keep it valid if I can.

Welcome to Forumosa!

I don’t know the answer to your question. I suggest going to the DMV, smiling a lot, and seeing what happens. Post back and let us know – the information could be useful for others.

As far as I know you can get your IDL stamped at any time and it’s then valid for 1 year, if your ARC does not expire before.

HM’s right, you can get it stamped anytime, good for the length of your ARC up to a year. I did it a little while ago.


Thanks for the replies hm and kamiwaza.

UK IDLs are only valid for a year. So presumably a stamped or validated IDL is valid here until the expiry of the ARC or the end of validity of the IDL, whichever is sooner.

Ah yes. That would be right. :blush:

Until the expiary date on the ARC or IDL, whicher is sooner. :smiley: