International Driving Permit (uk)

If the kid is under 14 then they should also get a fine.

Since November 30, 2022, … The riding age has been adjusted to riders over at least 14 years old.
https://tpcmv.thb.gov.tw/en/News_Content_table.aspx?n=10255&sms=13736&s=207093

2 Likes

Rural area the corrupt cops always side with their own kind and screw the westerner whether right or wrong.

I just saw this, its really stupid in my opinion and rather contradictory wouldn’t you say?

1. One of the following documents:
    National: your original ID card and passport.
    Foreigner: your original Alien Resident Card (ARC) or passport.
  2. Original foreign driver’s license.
  3. Original international driving permit (applications shall not be accepted when IDP is overdue).
  4. One ID photo with front view of face without hat (size 3cm x 2.5xm) and taken within the recent 2 years.
  5. Application fee: NT$150.

Notices

1. Those who will be staying in Taiwan for 30 days or fewer can drive in Taiwan without registering an international driving permit.
  2. Individuals who are going to stay in Taiwan for more than 30 days should apply to register an international driving permit with the Motor Vehicle Offices.
  3. The valid period of the registration of an international driving permit starts from the application date. The longest period shall be 1 year, subject to the valid date on the holder’s resident certificate, entry visa, and international driving license.
  4. The registration of an international driving permit can only be used for those who staying in Taiwan between one and six months. Individuals residing here for a long-term period (over 6 months) shall obtain a driver’s license in Taiwan. This is a standard international practice.

Number 4 is some BS they added a few years ago, was shortly after I had some words with a &^%$ in the Taipei DMV on BaDe road, it’s not actually a law, just something they wrote on their website from what I remember. He was refusing to stamp my IDP as I already had rather a lot registered in the system over the years however I demanded he show me under what law he was refusing, there were a few escalations and raised voices before they finally, extremely reluctantly, stamped the IDP. Went to Keelung the year after and no one cared.

The other “rules” are also complete and utter nonsense, how can you be considered capable of driving for 30 days after entry but on day 31 are suddenly not capable and not legal? Why is the longest period 1 year (Taiwan’s own IDP are for 2 years) and why is the legality of the IDP usage connected to the ARC expiry date?!

Tbh it is actually standard practice in most countries.

In Europe even among EU countries if u stay long in another country u need to convert your home country licence to the country’s licence you r staying at.

It makes sense tbh that if u live in a place for more than 6 months u have to get the local licence.

My 2 cents

1 Like

I agree this is so stupid…Not well thought out at all. Possibly just a money spinner and to further inconvenience westerners. As I mentioned previously, I was totally unaware that we westerners HAD to register our IDP in Taiwan, Up until recently I was totally and genuinely unaware that UK and Taiwan could exchange driving license’s, I always thought that this was only for Americans.

Last Sunday evening the cop Telephoned my wife and asked us if we could go to our local substation Police station as he wanted to SEE my IDP, he drove down from the main cop station some 15minutes away.

The cop spoke to my wife for sometime before asking if he could take a copy of it for his file and it’ll be added to the trivial accident that will be sent to a place in Douliu city, Yunlin county that will determine the outcome, I asked him (through my wife) why he was RECORDING the chat with my wife and myself, he replied for his protection, to which I then said AND what about my protection? The cop also went on to mention that there is CCTV of the incident to which I replied (through my wife) good, this will have shown you what the school kid did and in no way was I to blame. He replied that he’s not here to determine who was right or wrong, I thought it was a rather odd statement to make!!

My wife also informed the cop that the IDP isn’t actually valid UNLESS it is presented with my original UK drivers license and if you take a copy of the IDP then you really need to copy my UK drivers license, he replied that he didn’t see the need to copy my UK drivers license.

I really feel that he’s trying to get me with a possible hefty fine for riding with no valid license DESPITE having a valid IDP that just has not been registered as I was unaware that this was a requirement! Having said this, the IDP would surely be invalid due to the fact that I had never registered it in the first place. I’ve been very naïve

Its a very crazy situation, so watch this space.

1 Like

if a person is more than happy to apply and use an IDP then I see no real reason to apply for a local drivers license.

You can use a UK car license to bypass nearly all of the requirements to get a car license here. Basically if you show the UK license you can progress direct to the written test and practical test. Then you gave a UK license and a Taiwan one so don’t have to faff around with IDP and getting them updated yadda yadda.

Not if you’re a tourist.

IDPs are meant for tourists, but if you plan to live here then Taiwan allows you to extend your IDP until your ARC expires (some refer to this as “registering”) depending on reciprocity with your home state or country.

Depending on reciprocity with your home state, you can have your International Driving Permit extended by the Motor Vehicles Office at Taipei, allowing you to continue driving in Taiwan until the end of the duration of stay on your visa OR the expiration date of your Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).

Source: AIT

Not sure where Terry2011 got their information from that you can only extend it for six months.

Coz the rules say if u stay for long periods, and 6 months r a long period, then I have to get a local licence.

That’s it

1 Like

Except - you cannot just use an IDP indefinitely. Same for the UK and almost (?) every other country in the world. If you move there, your IDP becomes invalid to use after some time of living there.

It says so (well - there it says 1 year, but there definitely seems to be a limit to IDP validity) on the MVO website of Taipei:

1. The valid period of the registration of an international driving permit starts from the application date. The longest period shall be 1 year, subject to the valid date on the holder’s resident certificate, entry visa, and international driving license.
  2. The registration of an international driving permit can only be used for those who staying in Taiwan between one and six months. Individuals residing here for a long-term period (over 6 months) shall obtain a driver’s license in Taiwan. This is a standard international practice.

I think that won’t be the case anymore after an agreement to exchange the license has been signed. But not exactly sure.

This doesn’t only apply to westerners.

Besides, I think you would be much worse off if you were using an IDP in the UK as a Taiwanese person after staying there for many years and getting into an accident!

2 Likes

I seriously was unaware of this

Thanks for your input

crazy right! very contradicting

again this is news to me!!

What is contradicting?

If you have a valid driving permit from another country you don’t have to apply for a learners license and wait before taking the tests. Not exactly bypassing all the requirements!

1 Like

Which is why I said ‘nearly all the requirements’. I rocked up the test center with my UK license and sat the written exam, physical test and the actual driving test within one hour of being there.

1 Like

Anyone with a valid driving permit can do so, local or foreign although, in all cases, it takes more than an hour.

Not sure about this, they have a list of places (and license types) they accept in order to bypass a number of the requirements.