International Traffic Standards Committee Symposium

Apparently after the success of the International Carnahan Conference on Security and Technology held yesterday at the Grand Hyatt, an international conference on road safety is scheduled to be held in Taiwan later this year. Delegates will be presented with US$5 crash helmets, and scootered in three-up from their hotels for the opening dinner on specially supplied Kymco 150s with non-functional headlights, at all times ignoring traffic lights and other road users. President 陳隨便 will give a keynote speech on level-crossing design.

Having just finished wiping Gong Bao Ji Ding from my monitor, I can quote from the Typo Times:

After the Sept. 11 attacks, the International Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers listed the conference as the most important technical counseling organization.

Yes. Electrical engineers throughout the world have much to learn from the Taiwanese. A cursory glance at the wiring in your flat will confirm this. ("‘Earth’?! ‘Ground’!? What are these things?!")

According to the TT, Chen said that “Taiwan has adopted various measures to prevent terrorists from carrying out their schemes and has acted to stop weapons of mass destruction from spreading…”

Of course, our reporter does not enlighten us as to what those “measures” might be, nor is the question even posed.

Does this article win the prize for most pathetic attempt to make a sovereignty issue out of nothing? Does anyone else see Chen’s hubris in holding up one of the world’s greatest email and virus spamming territories as a contributor to “e-security”? Would he like to explain why many companies in England that I know of block by default email originating in Taiwan ? Is it because it’s too “secure” ? Did Chen actually say anything about security, or was he simply content to hijack the conference to have a go at China ? Well, we’ll not know from reading the TT, Taiwan’s own “one story” newspaper.

OK. Sorry. This is what happens when 7-11 runs out of copies of the China Post… :?

Damn you Hexuan, you unharmonious troublemaker.

[quote=“hexuan”]Apparently after the success of the International Carnahan Conference on Security and Technology held yesterday at the Grand Hyatt, an international conference on road safety is scheduled to be held in Taiwan later this year. Delegates will be presented with US$5 crash helmets, and scootered in three-up from their hotels for the opening dinner on specially supplied Kymco 150s with non-functional headlights, at all times ignoring traffic lights and other road users. President ??? will give a keynote speech on level-crossing design.i volunteer my skills as a driver, and I’ll be back after this smart ass post. Back to this thread I mean.

Chou

Taiwanese “conferences” are a bunch of bull. They’re all about face, and little on substance. Nothing positive ever comes out of them. The trouble is the public believes every word they say … they here that there’s a big conference or research committee studying a problem, they figure “mei shi, mei shi” and go back to their mundane lives. Reminds me of one of the favorite things Chinese/Taiwanese like to say when you present them with a question/problem that they don’t know the answer to, and don’t care to pursue it further, “I’ll research it” … and of course you know they’re not, that’s just they’re way of saving face. Uggghhhhh …

Anyway, I’m exhausted … so I’m going beddy-bye … good night Forumosa!

i’ll not have you people mad-mouthing our glorious leader like this…when that man speaks mountains start moving! all hail a-bian, all hail a-bian…(well at least he doesn’t beat his wife)

He wouldn’t dare. She’s twice the man he is.

Another ploy to boost Taiwan’s international standing?

At the three-day annual World Toilet Summit last week, hosted for the first time by the Taiwan Toilet Association (台灣衛浴文化協會), over 250 experts and architects from eight countries exchanged ideas and experiences on the design of tourist-area lavatories.

“The dining habits of people in Taiwan are not very healthy, so a large number of people developed illnesses and have an artificial anus.” :shock:

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003072442

I believe we’re only weeks away from the Water Soluble Toilet Roll Conference.