Internet Explorer 7

Just installed IE7 and I must admit, I like it a lot… in the past I heard the jeers and abuse about using IE and tried Firefox etc, but for one reason or another I just couldn’t be bothered and kept on with IE6, now that the new one’s out I can’t imagine how I put up with the old version…

so who wants to burst my bubble and tell me all the shortcomings and why IE7 is still crap?..

[quote=“plasmatron”]
so who wants to burst my bubble and tell me all the shortcomings and why IE7 is still crap?..[/quote]

I’ll just wait and let others tell me (good or bad).

Seriously though, I’m not against trying it, I just don’t need to. I’m happy with Firefox.

The reviews I read say IE 7 has the following con’s:

*defaults to Microsuck’s search engine
*“find in this page” function bites
*is an MS product, with poorer security

Overall conclusory comments are along these lines:

[quote]IE 7 is a huge improvement over IE 6. There is evidence of really good effort and innovation here - but there are also traces of the old IE that just do not fit. It seems like the IE team was pressured to release the tool (because of what Firefox is bringing out) before they had a chance to rethink and redo everything. Hopefully the shortcomings will be cleaned up in IE 8 - and that we won’t have to wait another five years before it comes out!

The bigger question is how does IE7 compare to Firefox 2.0 and is it enough to hang on to IE’s huge market share? This is a tough question to answer… but in terms of performance, cohesiveness of features and availability of add-ons - Firefox 2.0 is in better shape right now.[/quote] SOURCE

CNET editors’ review: "Mozilla Firefox 2 is a winner, beating Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on security, features, and overall cool factor and deserving our Editors’ Choice award. "

From the same reviewers:

[quote]CNET editors’ review (IE 7)
Very good – 7.0 out of 10
The good: IE 7 includes built-in tabbed browsing; antiphishing technology; an RSS reader; and a redesigned Favorites Center.

The bad: IE 7 is limited to Windows XP SP2 users only; installation requires reboot; reuses old IE 6 code and doesn’t yet comply with current Web standards; doesn’t match all the features found in Firefox or Opera; carries a Microsoft legacy of not patching its IE flaws quickly enough.

The bottom line: IE 7 was Microsoft’s one chance to leapfrog ahead of the competition, but the company has only barely caught sight of the current front-runners. For more features and greater security, switch to Mozilla Firefox. [/quote]

[quote]New in Firefox 2 is session restore; if Windows crashes and you have several tabs open in Firefox at the time, you can now relaunch Firefox with all the tabs intact…

Mozilla remains very responsive to fixing its vulnerabilities, pushing out updates within a few days of public notice. Microsoft, on the other hand, parses out its vulnerability fixes a little at a time. In the five years since its release, IE 6 has accrued a large deficit, and we see no sign that Microsoft is addressing new vulnerabilities found in IE 7 any faster. …[/quote] source

SO BOTTOM LINE IS – IE7 is a big improvement, but Firefox still has the edge.

For the installation of IE 7 it’s required to go through the XP genuine certification.
That’s ridiculous. One reason more to switch to Linux.

And as said earlier in a realted thread, installing IE7 on a secured Intranet network at the office always results in failing security settings which can not be saved. Still is a bug whic is not solved.
Or does anyone has an idea how to fic it?

Wrong vowel, I’m afraid. :stuck_out_tongue:

seems like most of the criticisms of IE7 can be negated by just selecting Google as the default search and upping the security settings… What killed Firefox for me was how unrefined it felt, like something cobbled together by overly keen undergrads or something, although I realise feature wise it was streets ahead of IE6… maybe I should give FF2.0 a chance… TBH one of the best things about IE7 is the ClearType settings to fine tune LCD screen’s text dislpays, night & day difference on that front… Still, it seems lame that after 5 years of development time Microsoft still didn’t manage to have 100% fresh code for IE7 and have only drawn even with the competition, not blown it out the water… I guess it’s free, so is the competition, so why throw resources at it?.. :idunno:

you will find that MS never has any totally frsh code, it is always a ptch empire built on an existing box. kind if like russin dolls. peel away Vista and you come to XP. peel away XP and you come to 2000, below that is part of the NT kernel. below that… and BABUSHKA, right at the end we see little old MS-DOS, WTF is a c-drive anyway? what is this extended memory shit? POS.

now we know why there are so many backdoors in MS programs: all these old hooks just waiting t be pulled and used.

wait, i can see a small little doll hiding inside MS-DOS. oh mi god, its called QDOS: quick and dirty operating system, Seattle Micro Systems Inc. part ported, part stolen by Bill Gates back in the day when he decided ‘to give it away and make them pay for it later somehow’.