Internet harassment, what do you do?

My brother seems to have made an enemy. This does not shock me in the least. But this guy has been harassing me about my brother for 2 years now. I have several accounts for him blocked on myspace, friendster, and youtube. He emails my hotmail address regularly but I have several accounts for him blocked on msn and I don’t actually read my hotmail email, so that isn’t really a bother. Now he has started flooding my gmail with shit. Which isn’t a huge bother, I can set up filter options that send his emails straight to the trash (from 4 email addresses already).
Frankly, with as much as I know you should ignore it and it goes away, this guy is ANNNNOYING. I don’t even understand why anyone would be so bored as to want to bother the sister of their enemy. Considering how large my family is, I can’t help but wonder who all he bothers and how much time that must take up.
I know this should be an “ignore it and it will go away” type problem. But after ignoring it for over a year, the idiot keeps on.
Anyone have any bright ideas how to get rid of an internet annoyance such as this?

Arm yourself with knuckle dusters, buck knife, or a Hello Kitty anti-tank bazooka.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]My brother seems to have made an enemy. This does not shock me in the least. But this guy has been harassing me about my brother for 2 years now. I have several accounts for him blocked on myspace, friendster, and youtube. He emails my hotmail address regularly but I have several accounts for him blocked on msn and I don’t actually read my hotmail email, so that isn’t really a bother. Now he has started flooding my gmail with shit. Which isn’t a huge bother, I can set up filter options that send his emails straight to the trash (from 4 email addresses already).
Frankly, with as much as I know you should ignore it and it goes away, this guy is ANNNNOYING. I don’t even understand why anyone would be so bored as to want to bother the sister of their enemy. Considering how large my family is, I can’t help but wonder who all he bothers and how much time that must take up.
I know this should be an “ignore it and it will go away” type problem. But after ignoring it for over a year, the idiot keeps on.
Anyone have any bright ideas how to get rid of an internet annoyance such as this?[/quote]

You are already taking up all the measures you can reasonably take. I would advise to keep away from him physically as well; from what you have written here, the fellow in question doesn’t seem to be the mentally-stable kind. I would strongly encourage you to not make any contact (via online replies, or otherwise).

Good luck.

What is the nature / content of his emails, i.e. is he threatening you or you bro in any way? And where is he located?

You could try to contact the ISP where the guy has his email account(s) but you would need to provide some proof, so don’t delete / filter the emails. Collect them and forward to the ISP, and keep them in your inbox for verficiation purposes (if required at some stage). It takes some effort by you and there is unfortunately no guarantee that you will have some success. At best they block his accounts but he may re-register under a different name.

I don’t think there is anything more you can do here in / from Taiwan, though I understand you are moving back to the US, and if he is there, too, maybe you can take some legal action against the idiot.

I don’t know who he is and thus don’t know where he is. But I live in Taiwan and am returning to L.A. (which is 4 states away from my family) so proximity is likely not to be an issue.
I think it is more an annoyance than anything.

Well, according to the “Fisticuffs in Tianmu” thread, you still haven’t tried the “walk away or offer him cigarettes, booze or binlang” pacifist wet dream yet…

Seriously though, not being a hyper techie, but there must be someone somewhere to report this problem to. Harassment is harassment. Good luck with that, though.

Oooooh, I had an afterthought. I had the same problem a few years back. It also lasted about a year and I just kept ignoring it and set the person’s e-mail to go straight to the bulk folder. Problem eventually went away. But then again, some folks have nothing to do with their time…

It’s spam and he’s spamming you. Anything at all that you do that shows you’re responding will only encourage him, just like any other spam mailers.
Delete and forget.

You brother is a doctor, right? Dare I ask…why does he have enemies? Unsatisfied patient I take it?

He’s a touch popular with the ladies. Thus some men hate him.

In other words, your brother slept with somebody else’s wife or girlfriend, and now that somebody is looking for payback. You failed to mention that “somebody’s” cause may be just.

How so? Unless he forced that somebody’s wife or girlfriend I don’t see anything just in it. And certainly not in harrassing the brother’s family (i.e. SuchAFob).

It was quasi-sarcasm. I just thought it was amusing how SuchAFob conveniently forgot to mention that it was her brother’s own immoral actions that brought this angel of vengeance upon his family. She shouldn’t be held liable for her brother’s actions though of course.

I agree. If this guy’s anger should be directed anywhere, it should be at his SO who cheated on him (though of course I would not condone any violence towards the SO or anyone else). BUT this guy appears to be not quite the random psycho the OP made him out to be. I don’t really think his cause is just….maybe “understandable” is the right word. I can’t help but wonder if the context of his messages to the OP are nothing more than “give me your brother’s address.”

My brother is far from immoral. Girls like him. That has nothing to do with immorality. He isn’t a player. I’m pretty sure he’s never fucked someone’s woman. He is a serial monogamist.
I simply stated that some men hate him because of how much the chicks love him.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]
In other words, your brother slept with somebody else’s wife or girlfriend, and now that somebody is looking for payback. [/quote]

I seriously doubt that. But as far back as I can remember the only people who have had problems with him were jealous men.

[quote=“SuchAFob”][quote=“gao_bo_han”]
In other words, your brother slept with somebody else’s wife or girlfriend, and now that somebody is looking for payback. [/quote]

I seriously doubt that. But as far back as I can remember the only people who have had problems with him were jealous men.[/quote]

Well just block the email accounts the spammers uses. Or if he uses a fixed IP address black that too.

Just ignore and send to junk mail.

I have blocked him from several email addresses. More than a dozen. I’m not sure if he has a fixed IP. But I’m sure even if he did, considering this has been going on for 2 years, he could get around that or use another computer.

Have you tried getting a new email address? Keep checking the old one until everyone important to you uses the new one and then keep the old one as a “throwaway” account that you can give out any time you need to give an email and think you might get spam from it.

Actually. Yes. I have had my gmail for about 3 years and he just started with the gmail address. Previously he was sending them all to my yahoo and hotmail.

Give him sympathy sex to win him over and let him redirect his anger at your brother. But you must really hate your brother to pull this one off.

Or tell him your new email address and phone number is that of the crazy lady that keeps squirting you in the face. Two birds with 1 stone.

Now, this is interesting. Any idea how he might have obtained your g-mail address recently? :ponder: