Internet Service, ARC valid for less than 6 months

I just moved into a new apartment and tried to get an internet connection set up yesterday with Chunghwa. After much debating, they informed me that they couldn’t give me a connection because my ARC expires in 5 and half months and their company policy requires me to have at least 6 months of validity.

I’ve been in Taiwan for 2 years, and I’m not planning on going anywhere, but I won’t be getting a new ARC until my contract renewal in September. I tried reasoning with them, explained that even if I left after 6 months, they’d still be making money off of me, I even offered to but down a cash deposit, but of course, they wouldn’t budge!

Anyways, does anyone know any other internet companies that will allow me to set up an internet connection with less than 6 months validity on my ARC?

I think cable companies don’t care.

another option would be g1.com.tw $429 per month (& they sometimes offer special deals… I’ve seen $379, $399 no contract)

it’s a Wimax wireless connection, available as a mobile wifi device, or a plug-in at home device. you’ll get 4mbps… if you use it at home and you’re in their coverage area, it’s fine. As a replacement for 3g, it doesnt have extensive coverage, but it seems to work ok in Taipei… 3g does have better reception in harder to reach areas such as basements and the back of coffee shops.

wimax is obviously not as fast as a hard wired connection, but i use it as a backup and find it has acceptable bandwidth and reliability.

[quote=“gary999”]another option would be g1.com.tw $429 per month (& they sometimes offer special deals… I’ve seen $379, $399 no contract)

it’s a Wimax wireless connection, available as a mobile wifi device, or a plug-in at home device. you’ll get 4mbps… if you use it at home and you’re in their coverage area, it’s fine. As a replacement for 3g, it doesnt have extensive coverage, but it seems to work ok in Taipei… 3g does have better reception in harder to reach areas such as basements and the back of coffee shops.

wimax is obviously not as fast as a hard wired connection, but i use it as a backup and find it has acceptable bandwidth and reliability.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, but I’m actually looking for a fast connection. I was hoping to get a 100 Mbps fiber connection.

You could try having a local friend apply for you or a fellow foreigner with a longer validity on their ARC.

Were you applying at the renai branch in Taipei?

Years ago people had problems with them not wanting to sign up foreigners.

These same foreigners had better success at the Songren office. Ymmv

Yeah, I might have to do that, but I’d really rather have everything in my own name.

[quote=“dan2006”]Were you applying at the Ren’ai branch in Taipei?

Years ago people had problems with them not wanting to sign up foreigners.

These same foreigners had better success at the Songren office. Ymmv[/quote]

No, this branch was on Zhongxiao Rd a few minutes west of Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT station. I even called the Chunghwa English hotline afterwards and argued with them from a while afterwards, but they wouldn’t budge.

Yea so just office hop. Chunghua has a lot of corporate offices, and they all have their own policies.

Go to a different one and try again :slight_smile: