Internet & TV through landlord or find an ISP by myself?

This has probably been asked before but I couldn’t find an answer. Just moved to my first apartment in Taiwan and the landlord has sent me the contact number of some guy to organise internet and TV (or just internet). This is weird for me because at home I’d just set up an account with an ISP after finding the best deal, so I’m not sure if this is standard (i.e. apartment buildings are generally supplied by 1 ISP and I have no choice about it) or if the landlord is just sending business along to their mate. I can’t speak Chinese anyway so I’m not sure how much shopping around I’ll really be able to do, but I was just wondering if this is standard practice and if these landlord TV/internet packages are standard or a rip-off? If the latter any tips for looking for an ISP if you can’t speak Chinese?

I’m in Hsinchu if that matters.

Thanks!

It depends. Some buildings have an ‘ISP’ that feeds Internet into the building and splits it. I don’t like it because it’s not a direct connection. I prefer going to the ISP directly.

A good deal lately I have been recommending is the Taiwan Mobile $999 120mbps home plus unlimited 4G for your phone combo.

1 Like

My apartment didn’t come with my own wired internet connection so I had to get it myself.
Pros: I don’t have to share it with anyone, I can choose any ISP I want
Cons: Locked in for 2 years, 500 NTD relocation fee, ISP availability depends on your area

if these landlord TV/internet packages are standard or a rip-off?

No clue as my landlord didn’t offer me such, better check the provider itself to see how much it actually costs.

If the latter any tips for looking for an ISP if you can’t speak Chinese?

Check for availability. Apparently (at the least in Taipei, don’t know if this applies to Hsinchu as well), certain providers can only provide service to certain areas. I was going to get T Star because they were the cheapest option, but I was denied because I was outside of their jurisdiction. I was told that the block across my building was fine.
Ask if their lines are fiber or DSL, opt for fiber.

I checked T Star, GT, and Chunghwa. They all had pamphlets detailing the down/up speed+the cost+any available package (e.g. bundled with a sim, cable TV, etc) with bits and pieces of it in English. You can also check online, here’s one for Chunghwa.

1 Like

Not speaking Chinese myself, I was quite happy that my landlord helped me set up the internet. Honestly, I don’t care if he got some commission or not - but one Line message to him and I was done.

Now paying $689 per month for KBRO cable at 200MB/s for a one year contract.

1 Like

I am not sure how helpful my experiences are, but I’ll share anyways.

• first apartment I bought my own tv and used an antenna (super boring)
  • second apartment the TV was included in the rent (all paid by the landlord)
  • third and subsequent dwellings, I paid myself and choose my own service provider

In sum, your landlord may be trying to help you out (possibly illegal cable via his friend) or trying to screw (scam). Not likely, something in between. Most major cities have options. They also all have English service personnel.

I suggest shopping around (do you research) before checking in with what the landlord and his buddy can offer. The following are ISPs that claim to offer services in your area.

• CHT (Chung Hua Telecom): 0800-080123. Most common service. English is available 9-5.
  • KBro: 0809-006899. No idea, but they offer services in your city.
  • Kingbet: (02)412-8166. Same as above.
  • So-net: (002)412-9588. Same as above.
  • TBC (04)4050-5857. Same as above.

Hope this helps in some way. If they offer no English services, maybe avoid them.

Thanks for this. Didn’t even think to call because I assumed there would be no English. Worth a shot.

1 Like

Just an update for anyone who might find it useful. Called Chung Hua Telecom and easily got through to an English speaker who told me everything I wanted to know (e.g. price, speed options at my apartment, etc). Meanwhile the landlord’s guy was super vague about what he was actually selling and the price was slightly higher so I didn’t bother following it up. I don’t know if it’s the best deal I could have gotten but I was happy with CHT’s prices and it was good to know I could just call if I had any issues. Couldn’t purchase it over the phone so had to go to a CHT store, but armed with all the info already communicating with the staff was pretty easy. Ended up getting 100mb/s for $920pm on a 6month contract.

1 Like

In case you didn’t get cable yet, CHT also has TV service with some foreign channels. It’s fairly cheap if you already have internet.

1 Like