Hey, you can work at my school! I’ll pay you the princely sum of $200NT/hr, while I sit in my office sipping Long Island Ice Teas… :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt that any school would offer a Taiwanese a short-term contract, because there will be no one available to complete the academic year.

But if you’re willing to work for free then why not contact the public schools in whichever city you’re going to? They generally don’t have the budget to hire a native-speaker, and would be delighted to hear from you with an offer of, say, one semester’s free work.

The academic year is dividied into two parts, with Chinese New Year in the middle. In order for them to schedule anything making use of your talents, you would need to be in Taiwan and ready to start by mid-February - or else wait until September.

Thanks for the info and advice. Stupid me… I never thought of public schools as an option. The problem for me would be getting a work permit or whatever would be necessary to makemy stay in Taiwan legal.

I’m not Taiwanese, by the way, in case that makes a difference.

(Maoman, check your PMs.)

Your univeristy is supposed to set this up for you. The buxiban school “experience” in Taiwan will not count towards an endorsement for a state teaching license if you are already a certified school teacher. Have your program cordinator contact the ESL advisor at Taipei American School or the Kaohsiung American School to see if they can take on an intern at such short notice. One of the colleges in my area (I live in the States now) offers an intern program through one of the American schools in Taiwan so I know it has been done in the past.

Taipei American School
800 Chung Shan North Road
Section 6, Shihlin District
Taipei 111, Taiwan ROC
Tel: 886-2-2873-9900 ext. 328
Fax: 886-2-2873-1641

Kaohsiung American School
96 Fu-Teh 3rd Road
Kaohsiung City (802), Taiwan
Tel: 886-7-583-0112
Fax: 886-7-582-4536