Interracial Dating - Here and Back Home

Aren’t you from Ohio or something like that? I’m not sure how it is there, but try visiting the west coast of the US or any other place with a good mix of ethnicities. You’ll see all sorts of mixed couples.

That country is broken, bad.

There are a few, but not many, BW couples in Ohio, from my experience. The once nice couple I knew there fit in just fine in my own social circle, which was liberal and academic, but that was Columbus, an oasis of sorts in Ohio.

BTW (to our legal eagles), isn’t a contractual clause specifying who you can or can’t resell something to unenforceable?

I grew up in NYC and currently live in the SF Bay Area in California. Interracial dating is really common in both of those places. The most common interracial dating and/or marriages that I see in my current area are between Asian and whites (usually Asian women and white guys) and Latino and whites, not so much between other ethnicities.

As for me, I am half Asian and I’ve dated Asian, Latino and white, though I have no certain preference. I’m open to anyone who’s cute, intelligent and nice :wink:

Also, whoever said that they found people who exclusively date one ethinicity are creepy gets a ditto from me too. I got annoyed and kinda creeped out when I visited my friend in Japan who’s teaching English and found a lot of his housemates in a gaijin-house are Asian-women-o-philes…

[quote=“UltimateMeiMei”]
Also, whoever said that they found people who exclusively date one ethinicity are creepy gets a ditto from me too. I got annoyed and kinda creeped out when I visited my friend in Japan who’s teaching English and found a lot of his housemates in a gaijin-house are Asian-women-o-philes…[/quote]

Yeah, me too, and this is different than having a personal taste for colouring or body type, as Dragonbones was talking about earlier, this is the “I won’t date white men/women” thing, that’s real skeevy…

Here, there, wherever. It’s not an issue.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]yeah I have a better word: ethnicity.

sloppy word choice is condusive to sloppy thoughts.

fight “racism” in all its forms, not just those that offend you.[/quote]

shouldn’t that be "fight “ethnicicism” in all its forms? :s

Might I suggest “ethnic prejudice”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Environment has come up a good deal in this threat, and for good reason. While I didn

Not completely. First, it depends on where you’re talking about and what laws apply there. In Taiwan I’d guess that nothing prohibits such practices. In the US it depends on applicable federal, state and municipal laws.

I believe it’s illegal everywhere in the US to prohibit the sale, lease or rental of housing to a person based on race, religion or gender. Based on sexual preference may also be illegal in most parts of the US. But other cases may be less certain, such as whether a “senior community” may prohibit non-geriatrics, or another community may prohibit children. Seems to me that they should have such a right, but surely breeders have filed lawsuits against such communities.

But that’s all OT. I apologize. Yes, in the US it’s illegal to restrict housing based on race.

Not completely. First, it depends on where you’re talking about and what laws apply there. In Taiwan I’d guess that nothing prohibits such practices. In the US it depends on applicable federal, state and municipal laws.

I believe it’s illegal everywhere in the US to prohibit the sale, lease or rental of housing to a person based on race, religion or gender. Based on sexual preference may also be illegal in most parts of the US. But other cases may be less certain, such as whether a “senior community” may prohibit non-geriatrics, or another community may prohibit children. Seems to me that they should have such a right, but surely breeders have filed lawsuits against such communities.

But that’s all OT. I apologize. Yes, in the US it’s illegal to restrict housing based on race.[/quote]

The contracts I refer to were probably written in the 50s or early 60s in Canada. My brother saw them when he and his Indian wife were looking for a home. Of course they are illegal now but were they enforceable before in your opinion?

Actually I was referring not to whether discrimination in housing is legal, but to the notion that once something is your property, it is yours to do with as you wish, regardless of whether the person who gave or sold it to you attempts to stipulate how you may subsequently dispose of it. I seem to remember learning this in a Law class at uni, in the contexts of sale of property as well as leaving something in a will, but my memory has gotten fuzzy, like my face.

A minor issue, the occasional specifics. Back in Oz many automatically assume a white male with an Asian female is somehow an exploitive relationship. Actually you can see it when travelling, especially in Thailand. The first reaction is often wary if not a tad hostile. But then I don’t give a fuck.

Just my thoughts (nice link Smell my glove, saw that awhile back).

HG

This is definitely the case with a lot of girls back home…when word got out that I was marrying a Taiwanese girl there was a fair bit of grumbling amongst former GFs and other females who knew me about me setting myself up with some kind of subservient Geisha-type slave.
:roflmao:
Don’t I wish.
I never met the girl back home who could give me HALF the verbal/spousal shit-kicking that Mrs. the chief doles out on a regular basis…

ETA I do know this Croatian chick, however, who could probably give her a run for her money…

International Man, I am

It’s all pink on the inside.

I only date within the human race

speciesist! :raspberry:

I never thught about it that way. I should probably get some psyciatric help with my issues.
:smiley: :smiley:

Unless you’re Richardm. :wink:

Well, I didn’t mean to offend anyone with the term “race” :unamused:, but after being back in a country where stares have more hostile subtext than in Taiwan, yet also where I had a more active social life (okay, I dated more) it comes back to mind.

Anyways, I’ve always wondered how many white guys (girls too, but particularly guys since there seems to be more of them in Taiwan) were dating interracially (or interethnically for those more pedantic ones) before they came to Taiwan.

For me it’s almost always been expected. I didn’t live in a neighborhood with other black families until I was almost 16 years old (and those few families only having kids under the age of 10). I was groomed to listen to country music and live for flannel shirts and a pair of boots. Plus considering that a large part of the members in my family are 50% or less black, including my white “father” who was more of a dad to me than my own biological father (and still is, despite him and my mother being separated for almost 20 years)…

I didn’t really know that many people who dated people of other ethnicities outside of the people in my family. Most of my friends, with the exception of one of my best friends who stole my the guy I wanted to ask out to the homecoming dance in 1997, dated within their ethnicities and showed no interest in those outside of those groups. Then I came to Taiwan. I guess part of it is that, well to be tactful, many Ohioans are not exactly enlightened when it comes to thinking globally. Many never travel outside the state borders or even their hometowns, let alone date someone who doesn’t look like them. My hometown is considered a cultural oasis because we have two Chinese restaurants and two Mexican restaurants.