Interracial Dating - Here and Back Home

How about Gaellic and Anglo Saxon? Or Gaellic and Jute? How about Gaellic and a dark haired Swede?

Here’s a simple way to put it. If your SO looks like you (and don’t even think of making a pedantic remark about that), you aren’t going to face as many issues than if your SO looks different. If both you and SO look Caucasian it’s a whole different ball of wax than if you look Caucasian and your SO looks Asian.
With that in mind, answer the question and stop nitpicking.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Here’s a simple way to put it. If your SO looks like you (and don’t even think of making a pedantic remark about that), you aren’t going to face as many issues than if your SO looks different. If both you and SO look Caucasian it’s a whole different ball of wax than if you look Caucasian and your SO looks Asian.
With that in mind, answer the question and stop nitpicking.[/quote]

True, very true. But as my granma (not with your point in mind though ImaniOU, I understand what you’re saying, but on the general trend of the thread I just want to add this) used to say, “At night, undercovers, with the lights turned low. There’s only the two of you. So as long as you’re happy with each other, it doesn’t really matter how different you are or what other people think.”

Not a whole lot. The only thing close is this:

[quote=“The Grateful Dead in Fire in the City, a song written about the race riots of the 1960s by Peter King”]
For as long as the wall stands between black and white
There’ll be fire in the city all night[/quote]

Its not strictly about interracial dating… but, I suppose interracial dating falls under the list of problems between blacks and whites to which that the song refers.

In my family, I have Japanese- American , Mexican- American, and Half White/ Half Black cousins. My son is Chinese- American to add to the list.
Guess my family was pretty progressive.

I don’t think it’s so much being a different race that makes things difficult as much as it is all the cultural stuff and just plain having different expectations. For example, I’m from a Dallas suburb, and most of the Hispanics in my town were at least 2nd or 3rd (or more) generation Americans, grew up in mostly white neighborhoods, had mostly white friends, etc. For the most part they didn’t have problem at all dating whites, blacks, or whatever – it was who they were used to being around. On the other hand, in some of the “Mexican” parts of town where the schools are mostly Hispanic and the kids grow up speaking mostly Spanish, shopping at the Mexican grocery stores, etc, then it’s a totally different deal for a Hispanic to date a white person.

Personally, I think even if the cultures are really different it can still work. After all my wife grew up in Taiwan. However, it probably took quite a bit longer to get to understand each other than it would if we were from the same culture.