Introducing Forumosa Dark Mode

But the dark theme would be optional, no?

Yes.

2 Likes

Yoda is right… fear of running out of batteries is what led me to the dark side…

1 Like

Funny , I was reading about Phone batteries …like you do …and it mentioned that fully charging them is not the most effective way to preserve their longevity. The Boffins seem to think it’s best to keep them between 40-80% charged, ideally .

OK, we now have a Dark mode :tada: Discourse made it easy to set up. Check it out at preferences/interface (click the gear icon under your icon at top right, the bottom tab at left–“interface”, choose your theme in the Theme window, and click on Save Changes at bottom. I tested it in mobile and desktop, and I don’t think there will be any serious issues.

Thanks to @Marco for this idea and @Hanna for the “inverted” concept, that’s what I basically went with. We can tweak things, so if you have any ideas or feedback, post them here!

6 Likes

That was hilariously fast. Wow. Ok I’m turning it on to try. Want bug feedback?

Absolutely. Shouldn’t really be any bugs (gulp), but we may come up with better color ideas

1 Like

I’m really good at ripping software apart.

1 Like

DARK

What do you think of the orange numbers for high views and high like to post ratio? Should they also be changed to various shades of blue and cyan?

1 Like

I can’t say I’m troubled by it myself. There’s already a lot of color over there from the avatars

Ok. I was gauging to see if that was something you intended to change or not.

1 Like

Discourse sets some colors automatically based on a somewhat odd system. You choose about ten colors, and then it plays off those for various things. So you can’t easily choose every single thing. It could be possible to do it through CSS, but that might take a little effort.

Interesting. Good to know.

I guess if one knew how to code, they could also modify the source code cause Discourse is open source. But lets not make @tempogain trip over himself.

That would be beyond my meager abilities :slight_smile:

Before:

After:
cd8cfb66aa489a2a5425230c4adaf685b1d0f4bf

Edited post to make less jarring.

I think the address bar at top should change color as well. Mine didn’t at first either

Which address bar? The tw.forumosa.com/t…?

Yes

Oh, that’s part of the UI on my phone. It doesn’t have a dark mode, It’s Firefox for Android.
@Hanna is using an iPhone that has Dark Mode.

1 Like