Invented Words

When she was 2 my daughter had her own words for things, the most memorable were:

oncomputer, for computer.
underbrella, for umbrella (which is almost better than the real thing).

Now she is 4, and constantly using the word lastday. This refers to anything that happened in the past, it could be yesterday, or a year ago. “Daddy, lastday we went to that beach with Nanny.” Awesome word :bravo:.

Nice.

When I was a kid, I was quite taken with foos (trains). “foo-foo!”
I had a foo toque (conductor’s cap), foo boots, and on the way to Grandma’s there were foo bumps.

Sprout’s language acquisition took off dramatically over the Christmas holiday back in BC, but she already has a couple of favorite words.

diedown!” is a mash of “lie down” and “sit down”, but sometimes means “Baba, you lie down and I’ll pull you up your ears, pull you down by your hair, and you’ll do lots of sit-ups for my amusement.”

There’s a mysterious “One”, accompanied by an emphatically raised finger that means… I don’t what, but she has been rather put out to have a Baba so dense that he can’t figure it out. Think it started with “one more (ride on Baba’s legs)”, but I’d much appreciate a proper translation.

We have a few “family” words, invented by my kids. One is “smucky”. My daughter often has “smucky” hands covered in mud, dirt, marker, or other such things. Some food is “smucky”, like that oyster pancake thing. Another is “foodles”. When things don’t go your way, you say, “Oh, foodles!”

Hmmm. invented words from my childhood…

For some reason when I was about 3 or 4 years old I called those classic two-pronged coat hooks “gogey hooks” (both g’s pronounced as in “gas”). I have no idea where I got that from.

A “gogey hook”:

Well I’m not sure if this is invented or not, but yesterday my son was doing his piano practice (as I stood over him with a kitchen knife :laughing: ) and as we discussed some aspect of his playing he said, ‘yes, like a capsin fish’. I haven’t be able to find it on google since :s

He also can’t get out of the habit of saying ‘supposed so to’ instead of ‘supposed to’.

My sister, if she was in great need of the toilet would say she was ‘bearing to go’.

I used to believe that ‘tomorrow’ was a day of the week. I think it came between Thursday and Friday.

Not sure how old I was when I realised it meant ‘the next day’, but I remember clearly thinking it was one of the days of the week O.o;

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I used to believe that ‘tomorrow’ was a day of the week. I think it came between Thursday and Friday.

Not sure how old I was when I realised it meant ‘the next day’, but I remember clearly thinking it was one of the days of the week O.o;[/quote]
When I discovered the concept of leap years, I thought it meant we had an extra day of the week, which I thought was called “Doobie-day”.

I can’t think of anything worse though now. Imagine a whole extra day of the week when you HAD to listen to The Doobie Bros…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9ba6NMeKc&feature=fvst

This isn’t an example of an invented word, but more of an inability to pronounce the letters “tr” at the beginning of the word “truck” and compensating by replacing these letters with the letter “f”. My son, who is 2, is the culprit. He calls the trash truck, “STINKY FUCK”, whenever he hears that wonderful (sarcastic) music getting closer. It took me by surprise at first because I don’t use expletives in front of him, and he hasn’t been exposed to any as far as I know, but once I put 2 and 2 together, I laughed my ass off. I was having a video conversation with my family the other day and the trash truck was coming up the street and my son heard the music and sure enough, he says, “STINKY FUCK”! My family was rather shocked by this, but once I explained, they understood and laughed as well. Hilarious! :roflmao:

My 4 year old inverts words. “You gotfor?” (read “forgot”) My 2 year old combines English and Chinese. “No wei!” (read “don’t feed the baby”)