Investment options in Taiwan?

Are there any investment options in taiwan that can give 4% (or more) fixed interest rates ?? (not stocks/crypto)

No.

2 Likes

Retire as a civil servant or military personnel from back in the day and you get a bank account that you can deposit your pension fund into that carries a 18% interest (and sadly that’s been nerfed massively now).

Otherwise, you won’t get anything like this. Even CD’s don’t give more than 1% interest, and you are basically losing money from inflation.

1 Like

Which decade are you living in? Unless you live in a country with shall we say, somewhat questionable banks/economy, the interest rates have been low for almost 20 years now, and very low for the last 10 - it is not 1983. This is pretty much the same worldwide in most developed countries - why would it be any different in Taiwan?

2 Likes

Taiwanese people are moving their money to the U.S. and buying up residential property right and left. Between appreciation and rental income they’re netting around 5% per annum.

Well, there is always real estate…

The pain in the ass factor is very high with this option, and it’s not exactly easy if you are in Taiwan - unless through REITs?

There are Taiwanese-American realtors here who specialize in facilitating all-cash real estate purchases for Taiwanese clients. They provide rental management as well. Green card holders here are snapping up real estate and renting it out. I socialize with them thru my Taiwanese wife and they tell me the whole process of becoming a landlord and making bank is easy here compared to anything they could do with their money in Taiwan. Relatives are sending money to them to invest in real estate. It’s a feeding frenzy.

same is true for Tokyo, I know 2 families that bought real estate in Japan as investment.
the problem I see is that most of these people probably know nothing about the real estate market in the USA and fall for fake promises of unrealistic ROI.