Investorplace.com

Has anyone heard of or experienced this service. They do ask for money to join, it’s about $1000, they shoot you all kinds of discounts after they get your info. It sounds like a good investment and these guys really know their stuff. The appeal for me is that they do the tedious task of sorting through all the garbage and bring you the winners. I simply don’t have time to do the research that is needed, but wnat to invest in some foreign markets.

The best investment advice there is to never pay for investment advice. This includes not paying stock brokers and not paying mutual fund managers. The statistics on these practices are very clear: None of them have regularly beat the market average.

Put your $1000 in an index fund and pat yourself on the back.

Bullshit.

Warren Buffet, Charlie Munger, Benjamin Graham and others from that school of investing have consistently beat the odds.

Your idea is oversimplified. It doesn’t even suggest to look at at the P/E ratio of the index fund. Would you invest throw that $1000 onto the Shanghai index now?

Dollar Cost Averaging is the most historically successful technical tool one can use.

I would recommend you spend that $1000 on educating yourself. The question you need to ask yourself about that website is how many subscribers do they have? How long is their track record? Does it extend beyond the Dot Com crash? Do the shares of companies they recommend stag before your average investor has a chance to invest in them?

Ive subscribed to two newsletters in the past. The Motely Fool rule breakers, and a loudmouthy guy I can’t think of. I made more dough with the MF guys. The loudmouthy guy was wrong as often as he was right.

Take your 1000 bucks, read every motely fool book out there, and then invest your dough.

With the MF guys I invested short term in
mvl
ostk
nflx
and a few others when they were all relatively unknown. schwing!

When I read things like this

I stay away, and surely I won’t pay them anything. No serious advisor would make that claim.
But if you are still interested ask for a list of their loosers. I bet you won’t get it.

Motley fool aren’t too bad, however they’ve made some made mistakes before, on fundamental mistakes they shouldn’t have made by suggesting technical trading techniques.

Yes, that is true. I bought Netflix in the teens and sold in the forties when they warned against NFLX doing something weird called downloading movies straight to your PC.

The stock doubled from there.

The thing to remember with newsletters is that they CAN be pyramid scams, and one best have a set %age gain to git out fast. I always planned to sell anything short term at 10%, and mostly did not have to do this. But, I got caught holding the bag on AU Optronics, bought at 20, then at 28, and it tanked and has been in the low mid teens for two years now.

Nah, thats a common enough mistake to make that any good investor can make, the mistake I’m talking about involved buying the cheapest four stocks on a P/E ratio of something and then holding them for x number of days or some crap like that.

It was based on historical data, but it was never going to work because:

1. history isn’t an effective guide to the future. If a few parameters had been changed, then history may say something very different
  2. the more people that know about a technical system, the less effective it becomes, and with millions of people reading motley, it was never going to work.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Bullshit.

Warren Buffet, Charlie Munger, Benjamin Graham and others from that school of investing have consistently beat the odds.
[/quote]

Yes, they have. So have Price, Fisher, Lynch, Templeton, Lightbown, Soros, Carret and Steinhardt.

Now take all of these names and divide by the number of managers who have not consistently beat the market. You’ll end up with a decimal point followed by a whole bunch of zeroes.

Names are eye-catching, but compared to numbers, they’re bullshit.

Have u read the article ‘super-investors’?

If not, pm me your email address and I’ll send it to you. Then tell me what you think.

PM Sent. Thanks.

Having read the article, can you tell us who the next Buffet will be?
I’d also settle for a Price, a Templeton or a Graham. :slight_smile:

Yes I can. It will be the man or woman who takes over Berkshire Hathaway.

Is that a joke?

No. Although their gains won’t reflect that of their predecessors because of the amount of funds they are managing.

So…do they have a better-than-average chance of beating the market?

I believe that on average they will beat the market, yes, but occasionally conditions arise such that there are few good buying opportunities. (according to the principles of value investing). But as you know, the more funds that are under management, the closer ones performance gets to the average.

Careful there: it’s easy to trip walking backwards.

I’m not backpeddling :smiley: Yes, I think they will do better than average.

So what do you think of the article?

Haven’t read it yet, but it looks like a good read.

However I don’t think it will change my belief in EMT/RWT, the senselessness of paying for investment advice, or my opinion of sites such as investorplace.com.