"Invisible" columns within a table cell?

I’m using Open Office Writer, but if you know about Word then you could probably still help.

I’ve got a basic page layout using tables. But I want to get two short columns WITHIN a table cell, and I don’t want to have any kind of line or border between the columns. I suppose I could “split cell” then try to make just that one line invisible, but I don’t know how. Or perhaps it would be easier to use the actual columns function, but I can’t get that to work within one table cell.

Thanks for any tips.

I didn’t explain very well what I meant. I hope this sketch will give a better idea.
So you can see it’s a table, and that I want to have separate columns within table cells, but without a visible border line between the columns. I have no idea how to do this. Please help!

I can think of two ways in MS Office:

In the relevant cell:

1. Insert MS Excel Worksheet (don’t know whether that will work with Open Office Writer). I have a button in my toolbar that does this

2. Insert two text boxes via the Insert menu (admittedly not a very elegant solution)

[quote=“rice_t”]I can think of two ways in MS Office:

In the relevant cell:

1. Insert MS Excel Worksheet (don’t know whether that will work with Open Office Writer). I have a button in my toolbar that does this

2. Insert two text boxes via the Insert menu (admittedly not a very elegant solution)[/quote]Thanks, rice_t. I need to make this a template page so I can just go to the relevant bit and type stuff in, without having to do the layout every time. I think maybe the text box thing will suit me best, unless anyone else has any other ideas.

Open Office
Right click in the top left cell
Select Cell>split
Spilt cell into [2] Vertically - OK
Select the 2 cells
Right click
Table>borders
In the secton titled “Line arrangement - default” click the second box - OK

Word
Right click in the top left cell
Split cell
Number of columns [2] - OK
Select the 2 cells
Right click>Borders and Shading
Setting: “Box” - OK

That’s it! The cells will still show a faint grey line where the cell border is, but this will not print.

Rik, that’s great! Thanks very much. It’s exactly what I wanted.

Thanks, that’s really a lot better than a text box!

Peifu