Invited to a family CNY dinner on 2/4, need some advice

Yeah Taiwanese are very forgiving and will not be bothered if you do nothing special or even do something wrong during Chinese New Year holiday. No clocks as gifts.

It’s also nice to bring something. But you should just relax and enjoy the meal and bring good company. It’s a day of celebration, so people will be in good moods and want to be happy. Just be a good guest and be sociable.

1 Like

Well done champ. Go as her good friend and treat it like an experience. Be prepared to talk about your salary, job prospects and length of time you plan on staying in Taiwan. If you don’t get along with your own parents, pretend you do when asked.

Someone suggested dessert. Good idea. Take enough for 12 people so there’ll be leftovers for the old man the next day.

2 Likes

With women, they’re easy on them before marriage, and tough on them after. With men, it’s the opposite.

2 Likes

I think your parents are also a rare exemption. I never met such laid back parents

1 Like

26 posts were split to a new topic: From cny

Well it’s nice that you got invited to CNY dinner. Enjoy the day (just a day…spare a thought for those of us who hang around for days) , bring gifts as suggested. Separate rooms for new year, probably just the one next year :).

1 Like

Did this last year. Definitely chill the F out. Get your girlfriend to figure out what you should bring as gifts. It will be a bit awkward but since you’re a foreigner everyone will be pretty accommodating. Bring booze and charge your phone for entertainment.

I’ll let you know how round 2 went this year.

Thanks for the split TG.

2 Likes

Ask your girlfriend!

If ever a thread needed it this was it…

if you only know them such short time I would not bother bringing gifts, not to create any false expectations. Or you can bring some beer or whiskey otherwise it might get pretty boring fast.

First kiss at 33? Seems legit…

The story could be fake but I don’t think it’s absurd for some.

It’s Taiwan its possible.