iOS 4.2 and free Find your iPhone now available

The latest software update for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches is now out. Get it while it’s hot!

Apple’s Find your iPhone service is also being given out free to everyone!

There’s also an Apple TV update to 4.1 out as well.

Awesome. Gonna go ahead and update the iPad right now but my phone absolutely must have untethered jailbreak, so will wait until those crafty dev team guys get 'er done. Woo hoo.

Update:
Great… actually, AWESOME update on iPad
Main things for me: Folders, Multitasking, Traditional Langauge Keyboards (PinYin and BoPoMoFo)
I went from 8 screens to 2
Fast app switching and multi-tasking now makes this like AltTabbing through apps on a desktop
I feel it’s going to make iPad much much more useful

Have not updated iPhone yet. Not in any hurry there.

Update 2: Yeah. iOS 4.2 really does make the iPad feel brand new all over again. And lightyears ahead of anything out there right now claiming to be competition.

mabagal, could you advise me what jailbreak you use? Maybe PM me since I can’t figure out how to pm you on my iPhone yet? I’m still in Canada this week and am not sure which program to use. I’d like a working mobile device when I get to Taiwan!

I used the latest limerain from geohot to jailbreak my 3gs ios4 about two weeks ago. Is it true that 4.2 will not undo my jailbreak? Isn’t limerain supposed to be unpatchable?

You end up with a tethered jailbreak on 4.2. Meaning if it crashes or runs out of batteries, you are suddenly unjailbroken until you remedy it with a computer. My phone’s been rock solid and I keep it from running out of battery, but I’d rather not risk getting in a situation away from a laptop without some of the things I use the jailbreak for, namely MyWi and DisplayOut. They are working on untethering it now.

I am on limera1n and 4.1. The dev team blog has the newest jailbreak, but it’s tethered for now.

Do you know whether or not your phone is locked to your carrier?

If so, don’t upgrade yet and follow dev team blog this week for jailbreak and unlock updates as they come.

Only to those with iPhone 4 models. The rest of us with antique 3G’s don’t benefit from this update, at least from what I’ve read.

You end up with a tethered jailbreak on 4.2. Meaning if it crashes or runs out of batteries, you are suddenly unjailbroken until you remedy it with a computer. My phone’s been rock solid and I keep it from running out of battery, but I’d rather not risk getting in a situation away from a laptop without some of the things I use the jailbreak for, namely MyWi and DisplayOut. They are working on untethering it now.

I am on limera1n and 4.1. The dev team blog has the newest jailbreak, but it’s tethered for now.[/quote]

Thanks mabagal. Avoid 4.2 for now. Got it! :thumbsup: