IOS or Android for Taiwan: English Language Apps

I’m wondering if anyone has feedback on using IOS or Android apps for non-Chinese speakers. I have looked at a number of IOS apps for use in Taiwan. Some of them have English options and a lot have none. Has anyone had experience with both systems and can suggest if Taiwan Android apps have more English language options/compatibility?

What are you trying to do?

All (most) apps I use in Taiwan are English or other foreign language, some are bilingual. Only when you use local apps they’re mostly Chinese.

This is not for a specific use, just more of an overall comparison.

Belgian: Are you using IOS or Android?

Android.

My wife has iPhone, I have android.
Do not see much difference, though location is always key.
Hers is in U.S., and so can get nearly all the banks, technology Apps, etc. there.
My android (based in Taiwan, don’t want to change address) does not get all the same Apps, due to location.

So, only thing I see so far is just location of the phone (when first registered, or by credit card).

Thanks for the feedback. Have you ever compared the same apps on each device to compare ?

Yes. For the bank Apps, tech Apps, weather Apps, etc. that can be downloaded on both different systems, I see no difference whatsoever.

Anything more specific? I’m rather simple. Just a few TV Apps, Chat Apps, Weather Apps, and Bank Apps.

Actually it’s weird, two phones, one Sony and the other HTC, both Android, the Play Store gives different results with the HTC having some bank apps not available. Both phones are with Chunghwa Telecom account, similar plan. The bank people where like flabbergasted.

I only see one phone (Android) not have some U.S. bank Apps, because the credit card attached (or when it was initially “opened” in Taiwan) takes the “location” of the phone as not in the U.S. So, you may want to see what credit cards are attached to PlayStore and Apple Store. May be different. That’s only my guess.

Taiwan software localization sucks. Most of the important / core apps are all in Chinese only, even the versions on the US Apple App Store

Even basic apps like YouBike is only in Chinese.

1 Like

Thanks. As far as specific apps, no, just more of a general overview.

Thanks. UBike is one for example that I was hoping was better in Android than in iOS.

I assumed that getting access to local apps for the Taiwan specific market would require a Taiwan CC and address. Some apps are available here in the UK from Taiwan, but I’m sure there are more with the local iTunes Store.

I get the feeling that Apple store has more Apps than PlayStore, meaning some lower-tier Apps that are ultra-specific to maybe just the cell phone user due to lifestyle/tastes are more likely to first be in Apple store and sometimes not in Playstore, no matter what location is used.

Interestingly, the Apple Store needs a credit card linked to it (I’m almost sure), but I’ve been able to use the PlayStore without ever having a credit card linked to it, starting from when cell phone opened up from its new case in Taiwan after being bought and just choosing “Not now” or something when prompted.

iOS for sure requires a local CC card. Find myself doing the change over from my UK CC to my USA for some UK specific apps. I don’t remember if Android has the same issues.

On Android it depends which country your Google Account was created in. App developers can restrict which country can see the app in Play Store. e.g. HSBC can have an app for every country they are operating in with different functionality. It would be confusing if you want to install HSBC app and Google Play Store would show you 20 results.

You can change your Google Account location once in a while.

Most convenient for me is to create a second Google account for the country you are in to install the local apps. Just add the second account to your phone and you can quickly change the account in the Play Store by clicking your profile picture.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s feedback!