IP members-only forum?

No, but there are plenty of places you can go for snark. There are far fewer friendly places to discuss politics. It’d be nice if this could be one of them.

I like the community based thumbs up/down app because the community takes care of it’s own graffiti and vandals can’t blame ‘the man’.

Democracy!! It does not work in every set up. It MAY work here, but the opinion of the majority is not always a good thing. I am of course quoting Boutro Boutros Ghali.

Isn’t there a pretty much even right-left split on the flob, though?
Every post from the likes of Tainan Cowboy, say, would be flagged by every lefty, and every post from the likes of Chris would be flagged every righty.

[quote=“sandman”]Isn’t there a pretty much even right-left split on the flob, though?
Every post from the likes of Tainan Cowboy, say, would be flagged by every lefty, and every post from the likes of Chris would be flagged every righty.[/quote]

So essentially creating an empty IP forum? :smiley:

[quote=“sandman”]Isn’t there a pretty much even right-left split on the flob, though?
Every post from the likes of Tainan Cowboy, say, would be flagged by every lefty, and every post from the likes of Chris would be flagged every righty.[/quote]
Which will erase debate and leave popular opinion in place. Kind of like American idol :slight_smile:

If posts are flagged by the majority based on viewpoint, then the system fails. I doubt that would be the case. It’s not (supposed to be) a policy referendum, but a sanction against posts that are a distraction and a waste of space.

On most websites that use the system, it seems to work. All it takes is a sufficient number of poster on each side of the discussion who care more about the discussion than hammering the other side. If it would works, what side issued the knee-jerk pronouncements on the one true correct political theology or the failed witticisms, wouldn’t matter.

Might make the forum worth reading again.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“sandman”]Isn’t there a pretty much even right-left split on the flob, though?
Which will erase debate and leave popular opinion in place. Kind of like American idol :slight_smile:[/quote]
Nah, it would erase the graffiti is all.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“divea”][quote=“sandman”]Isn’t there a pretty much even right-left split on the flob, though?
Which will erase debate and leave popular opinion in place. Kind of like American idol :slight_smile:[/quote]
Nah, it would erase the graffiti is all.[/quote]
Should be worth a try then!

I don’t think so. What might happen is that the people getting flagged or having their posts hidden/removed by peers AND moderated by IP mods would hopefully grow to understand that the least common denominator wasn’t going to cut it.

There are enough posters in IP who post without trolling and baiting to make up for the ones who deliberately or out of sheer laziness or true ignorance stir the pot.

Right? :eh:

Why? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Why would removing the worst kinds of posts, those under the bar, kill debate? Look at the Arizona Immigration Bill Thread today. Two, I guess, I only saw one, posts were removed. Has the thread suffered? No. Will it when someone comes in and refuses to discuss anything and starts throwing around unproven accusations of racism in the Bill ? No. Not if those are dealt with in the same way.

The same goes for any thread that is derailed by unproven accusations. The threads should be kept OT and as orderly as possible, and not allowed to circle around whether the derailing posts are derailing or not. Lower the tolerance for crapposting and the discussion will cease? I don’t believe that will happen.

But the thing is, there’s only … who? You and maybe one or two others. Hammering the other side is the very reason most of the others post at all. Plus, a lot of them obviously don’t see themselves as hammering the other side but as putting forward their rational points of view.
Also, why do you think people won’t flag posts based on their political colours? The entire IP – pretty much every single thread – is 90% people posting their political colours on whatever the subject might be, irrespective of what they actually think of the topic. Why do you think they’d suddenly adopt a different style?

But the thing is, there’s only … who? You and maybe one or two others. Hammering the other side is the very reason most of the others post at all. Plus, a lot of them obviously don’t see themselves as hammering the other side but as putting forward their rational points of view.
Also, why do you think people won’t flag posts based on their political colours? The entire IP – pretty much every single thread – is 90% people posting their political colours on whatever the subject might be, irrespective of what they actually think of the topic. Why do you think they’d suddenly adopt a different style?[/quote]

Because, in IP, I believe, many of the more mature posters value seeing a well thought-out post by an opposing viewpoint. And if most of the OffTopic haranguing is shitcanned, while the threads might grow to be viewed as “boring” to lurkers, those of us who actually post in IP, might enjoy it more.

But isn’t the reason there’s so much of it because most people like it? Or they wouldn’t post it and wouldn’t respond to other people’s trash-talking with such relish and gusto?

But isn’t the reason there’s so much of it because most people like it? Or they wouldn’t post it and wouldn’t respond to other people’s trash-talking with such relish and gusto?[/quote]
No. Not the people I know who post in IP.

I’m sure the lurkers (haven’t seen YOU post in there in a while :wink: ) might enjoy the spitting, but the people I know IRL do NOT like that about IP at all.

But isn’t the reason there’s so much of it because most people like it? Or they wouldn’t post it and wouldn’t respond to other people’s trash-talking with such relish and gusto?[/quote]
No. Not the people I know who post in IP.

I’m sure the lurkers (haven’t seen YOU post in there in a while :wink: ) might enjoy the spitting, but the people I know IRL do NOT like that about IP at all.[/quote]
I seldom go in there, let alone post. Boring as hell and utterly predictable, IMO. You know what pretty much everyone posting is going to say before they’ve even started typing. And the bickering and general daftness is even worse.
I’m just interested in why you and Jabs feel that making it members-only would change. I’m not convinced.

There’s a major difference between posters who write on company time and those who use their own time. The former are merely killing time, the latter – fine fellows like myself – care more about what they’re commenting on.

I’m killing time, sure. But I care, too. I’m a caring individual. I have spaniel-like eyes, which is how caring I am.

[quote=“sandman”]
I seldom go in there, let alone post. Boring as hell and utterly predictable, IMO. You know what pretty much everyone posting is going to say before they’ve even started typing. And the bickering and general daftness is even worse.
I’m just interested in why you and Jabs feel that making it members-only would change. I’m not convinced.[/quote]
Maybe because I’m not advocating a members-only forum. I saw a link and THOUGHT there already was one. I think now, we’re mucking about on how to encourage thoughtful posting and discourage shitstirrings.

[quote]Because, in IP, I believe, many of the more mature posters value seeing a well thought-out post by an opposing viewpoint. And if most of the OffTopic haranguing is shitcanned, while the threads might grow to be viewed as “boring” to lurkers, those of us who actually post in IP, might enjoy it more.
[/quote]
The less mature folks make Forumosa unique. Most veteran IP posters (no offence intended) have a rigid POV and arguments to sustain those views, so on both (or all sides) you would just come to an impasse.

Secondly very few posters (a la Jaboney) have their own analysis, or are at least objective. Most other veterans, don’t have analysis to offer and basically mouth the volumes of articles or books they have read on a subject matter that are affiliated to their own political understandings. Not many are ‘open to being challenged to unproven rumours’. OT posts do get temped. If people have an extremely unique POV, they will start a blog. But like I said, most of the discussion here is a verbatim of the press (no offence meant, again), even less mature posters should be given an opportunity to voice their opinion. At least some authenticity shines in once in a while.

Thirdly :laughing: Forumosa IP forum is not a think tank (i have been around many and most of them are useless but that’s OT :laughing: ) neither are the other political debate forums. It is just self aggrandizement. Elitism.

Also, why do you think people won’t flag posts based on their political colours? The entire IP – pretty much every single thread – is 90% people posting their political colours on whatever the subject might be, irrespective of what they actually think of the topic. Why do you think they’d suddenly adopt a different style?[/quote]
The point of this kind of rating system is that it measures readability, not popularity nor agreement. Hardball and I may not often agree, but his typical post is worth reading. So it’s: “Thumbs up on the contribution, sir. Now allow me to school you on a few inconvenient facts.”

There are political theorists whose scholarly works might fly out of my hands, across the room, into the wall and ultimately find their way to serving as a footstool. But to whom I consistently return. Their ideological blinders notwithstanding, they’re worth reading time and again. Then there’s the supermarket tabloids.

Divea, there’s no reason to try and turn it into a thinktank. And there’s no reason it couldn’t be more like a proper cafe or quiet pub where a few friends can sit around and shoot the breeze without being interrupted by a couple of so-and-sos interested only in shouting down one another.