iPad Mini

as usual, Taiwan is not on the list to get their new gimmick first on Nov 2nd …

Also, no pricing yet, but I bet the cheapest model will go over the table for
10.500 NT$ (based on Hkg$ plus the odd 800 NT$ for other models).

Thus 2k cheaper than its bigger brother (plus mini got better specifications)
and 5k cheaper than the “new” new ipad.

I might be interested to purchase it, but until ioS provide a workable
MS-Office (rumored to be out next month) it is still a no-go for me.

Anyway, what do you think about the “mini” ?
Worth or as SJ has said completely useless ?

You need office , get a windows tab. Makes sense.

I don’t see how this will be any better than something like the Nexus 7. The Nexus is cheaper for the price, runs Android (which I think is more interesting than iOS) and is only slightly heavier. But of course tons of Apple wanks will buy it just because it’s Apple.

I use an acer iconia a500 with kingsoft free office app. Works well for word stuff, I use it for my writing with a usb keyboard case. I like iphones but android tablets are waaay better than ipads.

The iPad mini screen is bigger and has 100s of thousands of tablet apps designed for it. The main problem with Android tablets is the lack of apps that take advantage of the tablet screen.

Played with an iPad Mini yesterday briefly – what a sweet little device!

I’ve also played with the Nexus 7. As much as I appreciate what Google has tried to do by giving away Android and create a market for itself, from this consumer’s perspective, there is still no comparison between an Android Tablet and an iPad. 95% of the time, the iPad works the way I expect it to work – in my experience, my Android devices (mobiles and tablets) “work as expected” 60-80% of the time. No comparison. Plus the iPad Mini’s screen is larger than I imagined. Amazing what an extra half-inch in screen size can do!

I usually end up buying the tech for my folks and my siblings. If budget isn’t an issue, I still can’t recommend a 7" Android tablet over an iPad Mini for my family, who will use it primarily for Skype/Google Hangout, Kindle, Netflix, the various chat programs, Evernote, and picture taking and photo management.

Do you think it can replace a kindle?

Sure, although with the iPad cover and tax you are paying twice as much as the Kindle Fire.

I seem to spend 70% of my time with my iPad using reading Pocket, Kindle, and email and watching Netflix or video. Most of the rest is using Evernote. I’m pretty sure the Kindle Fire handles all of those well

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Played with an iPad Mini yesterday briefly – what a sweet little device!

I’ve also played with the Nexus 7. As much as I appreciate what Google has tried to do by giving away Android and create a market for itself, from this consumer’s perspective, there is still no comparison between an Android Tablet and an iPad. 95% of the time, the iPad works the way I expect it to work – in my experience, my Android devices (mobiles and tablets) “work as expected” 60-80% of the time. No comparison. Plus the iPad Mini’s screen is larger than I imagined. Amazing what an extra half-inch in screen size can do!

I usually end up buying the tech for my folks and my siblings. If budget isn’t an issue, I still can’t recommend a 7" Android tablet over an iPad Mini for my family, who will use it primarily for Skype/Google Hangout, Kindle, Netflix, the various chat programs, Evernote, and picture taking and photo management.[/quote]
Hmm, maybe it’s because I started with Android but I get the opposite effect. My work gave me an iPad to use and I expected a lot more from it. I get a generally smother user experience from my Android tablet (an older Vizio), though that may be because I am able to customize it more. I do find that the iPad has more apps, but a lot of them are duplicating the same functionality. A lot more free apps for Android.

From my perspective it seems like it’s less of one being better and more of different strokes for different folks.

I am annoyed by the lag and poor responsiveness from the iPad, but perhaps I just bought too much into the hype and my expectations were unrealistic.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

[quote=“MoTi”]Also, no pricing yet, but I bet the cheapest model will go over the table for
10.500 NT$ (based on Hkg$ plus the odd 800 NT$ for other models). [/quote]
I recall seeing it quoted last week at NT$ 14,600 in Guanghua – has anyone seen differently? AFAIK it has not yet officially launched in Taiwan