iPhone Unlock in Taipei

In case anyone is wondering…

Found a few places in Taipei Guanghua area to unlock my iPhone that I purchased new in the US. They offer a variety of methods i.e. software only, modifying the SIM, etc.

In Dec, I went with the SIM modification where the local SIM card is cut apart and the chip is inserted into another card that fits into the iPhone. Now works great with Chunghua. Price of SIM mod kit was about NT$2200. For another NT$800 or so, they will do the work for you which is somewhat sensible since they have the experience and have seen the problems.

Are you a Mac user? How is your iphone working with your Mac?
Do you have version 1.1.1?
Any trouble at all, being unlocked and all?

I have noticed the iPhone guys in Guanghua, but the main thing that’s putting me off is that I’d heard the (US at least) iPhone is heavily dependent on network features, so even if you get a cracked iPhone to work, a lot of the cool stuff doesn’t work here anyway.

Is that true?

It invalidates the waranty and blocks you from getting any system software updates is what I heard…

the only thing that doesnt work anymore on an unlocked phone is visual voicemail, because that is tied via the IMEI number to the carrier.
all the rest works fine on properly unlocked iphones, plus you can install 3rd party apps on teh phone, not only access them by web, like the plugins from apple.

That’s good to hear. I’ve heard the same thing, but from an unreliable source so, I wanted some foreigners to post their experience with their iPhone here in Taiwan.
How about upgrading, can you do that?

My iPhone works fine here. I have the latest software version. All the applications work. Email downloads fine wirelessly. iPod function is great… I leave my iPod in the car or at home now. Downloads from the internet seem to be fine. The youtube videos pop right up and play, almost faster that my new home computer. Youtube is easier to view on the iphone than my home computer. Calendar, SMS, photo, camera, all work fine.

There is nothing network related other than the voicemail that is not available in taiwan with an unlocked phone. Next software update expected soon so will try that also.

[quote=“tango42”]My iPhone works fine here. I have the latest software version. All the applications work. Email downloads fine wirelessly. iPod function is great… I leave my iPod in the car or at home now. Downloads from the internet seem to be fine. The youtube videos pop right up and play, almost faster that my new home computer. Youtube is easier to view on the iphone than my home computer. Calendar, SMS, photo, camera, all work fine.

There is nothing network related other than the voicemail that is not available in taiwan with an unlocked phone. Next software update expected soon so will try that also.[/quote]
Thanks for the info Tango.

Don’t buy that first gen iPhone just yet.
The 2008 Macworld Expo is only a week away.
Most people are expecting iPhone 2.0 to be rolled out.

[quote=“Josefus”]Don’t buy that first gen iPhone just yet.
The 2008 Macworld Expo is only a week away.
Most people are expecting iPhone 2.0 to be rolled out.[/quote]
I agree. Some cool stuff are coming next week at the expo. it’s very promising…A new breed of laptops. I can’t wait.

mind that future firmware versions might ‘brick’ unlocked phones.
so if you got a working unlocked iphone, ALWAYS wait before upgrading to newer versions of the firmware until the new firmware is unlockable.

thats basically the only thing you need to keep in mind.
oh and i heared newer iphones (euro version) can not be unlocked anymore

True, but that’s because they are already unlocked. So, you can use them with different carrier, unlike in the US.

From what I’ve read , only 1.1.1 firmware phones can be unlocked. I’m able to get an iPhone from the US in about a week, but the current phones being sold are the latest firmware…so, wouldn’t it be a bit risky to buy an iPhone hoping that it will be able to be unlocked?

The thing that makes me laugh about pro Apple people is often they are drawn to Apple because it is not “big brother” Microsoft…yet what Apple has done in recent years with the iPhone, iTunes and iPods etc is pretty much the most controlling of any hardware manufacturer out there.

SHHHHH!!

:laughing:
Pointing this out is very much like mentioning the fact the iPod doesn’t have particularly good sound quality when compared to other .mp3 players. Those with apples tattooed on their foreheads do NOT want to hear about it. :wink:

True, but that’s because they are already unlocked. So, you can use them with different carrier, unlike in the US.[/quote]

no they are not unlocked - at least not all.
you could buy for some time unlocked iphones from t-mobile at the nice price of 999 euro (hardly a bargain) and orange in france sells unlocked iphones at 699 euro + 100 euro unlocking fee.

what i meant is that the european 1.1.2 firmware on locked phones cant be unlocked at the moment still.

when i asked a fried to bring me one from his NYC trip on christmas he also said US 1.1.2 can’t be unlocked anymore. but i am not sure abotu that.

but normally iphones in europe are also sold locked unless you pay a ridiculous premium to have it factory unlocked.

[quote=“Truant”]
The thing that makes me laugh about pro Apple people is often they are drawn to Apple because it is not “big brother” Microsoft…yet what Apple has done in recent years with the iPhone, iTunes and iPods etc is pretty much the most controlling of any hardware manufacturer out there.[/quote]

completely agree here.
there are good things in both worlds (mac and MS) but apple isnt the cute little company some (many) people think/want it to be.

in some regards apple is quite bigot actually: DRM for example
on the one hand they (jobs) says DRM from teh music labels is evil, on the other hand their own DRM (apple fair play) is one of the most restrictive in the market. and basically they have no interest in really dropping their own DRM

[quote=“redwagon”]
Pointing this out is very much like mentioning the fact the iPod doesn’t have particularly good sound quality when compared to other .mp3 players. Those with apples tattooed on their foreheads do NOT want to hear about it. :wink:[/quote]

i think the soundquality is ok to good, it depends a lot on the headphones/earphones you use.
i have a good set of shure an i really like the sound of my ipod touch.

one thing apple really does best is usability. IMO no other mp3 player is as convenient to use as ipods. thats where they shine.
cowon makes better sounding mp3 players, maybe iriver even. but what they edge out the ipod in soundquality, they lack n usability.

my biggest complaint is actually itunes: slow (even on a high end PC where other media software flies) for example there is a delay when adjusting the volume.
and no 64bit version available, so i still have to use XP besides Vista 64 just for itunes sake…

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]what I meant is that the european 1.1.2 firmware on locked phones cant be unlocked at the moment still.

when i asked a fried to bring me one from his NYC trip on christmas he also said US 1.1.2 can’t be unlocked anymore. but I am not sure abotu that.[/quote]
This is exactly what I understand. Doing some digging on the web it appears that unlocking the current release iPhones is not possible (by software at least). If it’s getting done at GuangHua, it sure must involve hardware mods (which could be anything really, and perhaps the ROM you end up running isn’t even Apple anymore, but a clone in an iPhone body)

The exception would be if the iPhone is 1.1.1 to begin with.

I’m definitely no expert, but it does seems a bit odd that most info out there says the current iPhone is not unlockable, yet it’s being done at GuangHua.

I was lucky enough to find a 1.1.1 iPhone in Guang Hua a few weeks ago, already unlocked. Slapped in my basic FarEasTone Sim and all features worked immediately, with the exception of visual voicemail, which is tied to AT&T. Many restaurants/cafes in Taipei have free wifi that is simple to log onto to check e-mail, use Safari, or use the weather widget. Taipei’s WiFly appears to have a special package for smart phones, iPhones, iPod touches, PSPs, and PDA’s that allow internet access for 1800 / year.

I’m not an Apple phanboi but I really am impressed with the iPhone. Even if I can never take advantage of future firmware updates I am content with the features I currently have.

Well there wasn’t a new iPhone at the MacWorld, just software updates.
I guess it’s still safe to buy the phone.