iPhone Unlock in Taipei

[quote=“Josefus”]Well there wasn’t a new iPhone at the MacWorld, just software updates.
I guess it’s still safe to buy the phone.[/quote]
I’m keen, but I still can’t get much of a solid answer regarding how unlockable the latest version is.

I don’t think the latest version is unlockable.
I think the phones sold here are all unlockable 1.1.1’s.

I don’t think the latest version is unlockable.
I think the phones sold here are all unlockable 1.1.1’s.[/quote]
that is my concern. I have heard about downgrading to 1.1.1 prior to unlocking, but I have no idea if that is still possible. I would have thought that 1.1.1s must be getting pretty rare (new) by now.

I’m going to be standing in a US Apple store in a couple of days, I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth getting one.

Are there places that can jailbreak an iPod Touch from 1.13? I saw the update today that would add maps, mail and other niceties, but they’re only available to countries that have iTunes and ironically, Taiwan ain’t one of them. Seeing as well into 2008 the iPhone hasn’t even been made available here, I don’t foresee much further developments on that front.

apparently they gonna unveil a beefed up version at the 3GSM fair in spain next month.

on a iphonish side note:
i was so stupid to buy the softwareupdate for the ipod touch. actually charging 20 bucks for it is very ugly from Apple, especially since iphone users got the apps fro free and buyers of new ipod touch (same gen) get it for free as well but thats a different story.

however the added functionality is really nice, especially in TPE with so many WiFi hotspots.
you can use mail, stock charts, weather and google maps now with you ipod touch.
even though ipod touch can not get the same precise location as you get from the triangulation with the iphone it is pretty damn accurate. too bad the roadnames are in chinese only.

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]I was so stupid to buy the softwareupdate for the ipod touch. actually charging 20 bucks for it is very ugly from Apple, especially since iphone users got the apps fro free and buyers of new ipod touch (same gen) get it for free as well but thats a different story.

however the added functionality is really nice, especially in TPE with so many WiFi hotspots.
you can use mail, stock charts, weather and google maps now with you ipod touch.
even though ipod touch can not get the same precise location as you get from the triangulation with the iphone it is pretty damn accurate. too bad the roadnames are in Chinese only.[/quote]

At least you can buy it; I have no way of buying it for any amount of money. 20 bucks isn’t much at all and I’d gladly pay it, but the iTunes store isn’t available to me.

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]apparently they gonna unveil a beefed up version at the 3GSM fair in spain next month.

on a iphonish side note:
I was so stupid to buy the softwareupdate for the ipod touch. actually charging 20 bucks for it is very ugly from Apple, especially since iphone users got the apps fro free and buyers of new ipod touch (same gen) get it for free as well but thats a different story.

even though ipod touch can not get the same precise location as you get from the triangulation with the iphone it is pretty damn accurate. too bad the roadnames are in Chinese only.[/quote]
Hi, I take it you are in Taipei. How good are the maps in Taipei with the new upgrade?

The iphone is definitly coming to Taiwan. Should be by June this year. As soon as the deal is done with China and Japan, next in line is Taiwan.

[quote=“igorveni”]
The iphone is definitly coming to Taiwan. Should be by June this year. As soon as the deal is done with China and Japan, next in line is Taiwan.[/quote]Well, CNN the other day reported that Apple had broken off talks with Chinese providers because they couldn’t come up with a workable deal. Therefore no (legal) iPhone for China.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“igorveni”]
The iphone is definitly coming to Taiwan. Should be by June this year. As soon as the deal is done with China and Japan, next in line is Taiwan.[/quote]Well, CNN the other day reported that Apple had broken off talks with Chinese providers because they couldn’t come up with a workable deal. Therefore no (legal) iPhone for China.[/quote]
Yes, but Steve has denied that.

[quote]In his interview with CNBC’s Goldman, Jobs also insisted that all those rumors of negotiations between Apple and China mobile over bringing iPhone to China are just not true. Instead, he said a single representative from China Mobile has flown into Cupertino just once, and that there are no on-again off-again negotiations as some in the mainstream media have been reporting.

Obviously, Jobs said he’s eager to launch the iPhone in China – one of the world’s hottest cellular markets – but has nothing new to announce at this time.[/quote]

There is still hope!!!

[quote=“Gelangweilt”][quote=“redwagon”]
Pointing this out is very much like mentioning the fact the iPod doesn’t have particularly good sound quality when compared to other .mp3 players. Those with apples tattooed on their foreheads do NOT want to hear about it. :wink:[/quote]

I think the soundquality is ok to good, it depends a lot on the headphones/earphones you use.
I have a good set of shure an i really like the sound of my ipod touch.
[/quote]Yes, better earphones improve the quality, but I subscribe to the GIGO principle. Garbage in, garbage out. You use those upgraded earphones on almost any other player (certainly anything from Creative, iriver, Rio etc.) and it will sound better because the signal output from the machine itself is better.

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]one thing apple really does best is usability. IMO no other mp3 player is as convenient to use as ipods. thats where they shine.
cowon makes better sounding mp3 players, maybe iriver even. but what they edge out the ipod in soundquality, they lack n usability.[/quote]This is the standard excuse from iPod fans. Personally I use .mp3 players for listening to music. I want that music to have the highest quality possible. All other considerations are secondary. Can you even store music in lossless formats on the iPod?

I just wish that Apple would stop this bullshit of working out deals with providers. It’s just a pain in the ass if you want the hardware but also want to stick with your current contract/provider.

After reading about Apple now SELLING updates for the ipod touch, I just wonder how long it will be before the die hard hippies realize that A$ is more money hungry than anyone else. It’s just greed.

Surely it’s got to bite them in the ass soon by giving their competition lots of time to step in. I really like the Apple iPhone, and would have bought one the first day, but all this waiting around just makes me want to go with something else. I thought the Nokia N810 was a good alternative until I realized it was missing one key function: a phone.

[quote=“igorveni”][quote=“Gelangweilt”]apparently they gonna unveil a beefed up version at the 3GSM fair in spain next month.

on a iphonish side note:
I was so stupid to buy the softwareupdate for the ipod touch. actually charging 20 bucks for it is very ugly from Apple, especially since iphone users got the apps fro free and buyers of new ipod touch (same gen) get it for free as well but thats a different story.

Hi, I take it you are in Taipei. How good are the maps in Taipei with the new upgrade?

The iphone is definitly coming to Taiwan. Should be by June this year. As soon as the deal is done with China and Japan, next in line is Taiwan.[/quote]

yes i am in taipei. the maps look pretty good, although 99% chinese, you can see some 7ELEVEN on the maps, but thats about it. the router from to doesn not work apparently.
but besides that it looks cool. based on teh wifi spot your are logged in you can pinpoint you location (looks like a 50m radius maybe).

Ha, it’s hilarious that pretty much the only people who can install the maps option in Taiwan are the ones who can’t read them.

[quote=“redwagon”]

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]one thing apple really does best is usability. IMO no other mp3 player is as convenient to use as ipods. thats where they shine.
cowon makes better sounding mp3 players, maybe iriver even. but what they edge out the ipod in soundquality, they lack n usability.[/quote]This is the standard excuse from iPod fans. Personally I use .mp3 players for listening to music. I want that music to have the highest quality possible. All other considerations are secondary. Can you even store music in lossless formats on the iPod?[/quote]

this was no excuse from my side, just my opinion and i owened a couple ipods (from 3rd gen to touch), but also a couple other ones like iriver.

i use mp3 players to listen to music on teh go: taxi, airlpane, maybe while doing sports or talking a walk on the outside.
all of these environments have a lot of side noises whoch will never give you the same experience you can get from a serious home stereo system (which i have too back home in germany).
to me mp3 player must have good sound quality, good usability and nice design.
ipod does all that. to say it sounds like crap is an unnecessary exaggeration. i use shure 4c and 530 SE in-earphones and i must say the touch sounds really with them.
maybe they would shine more with a cowon or iriver, but i happen to like the user interface of the touch (coverflow is awesome) and itunes (aside from being a memory hog) is still one of teh best music databases a manufacturer offers with his mp3player.
i remember the iriver thing, that was simply a disgrace, because it looked so awful.

i am by far not an apple fanboy, i think they are greedy as can be and actually i try to avoid buying their stuff, but the ipod is a nice product.

but hey, everyone has a different requirement to his mp3 player, tahts why there are other companies which may fit your wishes and needs better then apple’s ipod.

especially with the enhanced feature set teh ipod touch is not only a mp3 player anymore but a nice companion.

Ha, it’s hilarious that pretty much the only people who can install the maps option in Taiwan are the ones who can’t read them.[/quote]

i was hoping for english streetnames, but its all chinese.
i think it’s because it is getting the data from the google maps webserver, and they just get the localized data from google maps. not sure google maps has even english maps of taipei…

weatehr thingie works nicely though and the mail app is really nice.

[quote=“Truant”]I just wish that Apple would stop this bullshit of working out deals with providers. It’s just a pain in the ass if you want the hardware but also want to stick with your current contract/provider.

After reading about Apple now SELLING updates for the ipod touch, I just wonder how long it will be before the die hard hippies realize that A$ is more money hungry than anyone else. It’s just greed.
[/quote]

they will never stop this bundle deal thing. for the same reason you said why ppl have to pay for the ipod touch update: greed (aka profit :wink: )

i am seriously thinking about getting an officialy unlocked iphone from orange france (699 euro) but i rather wait until afterthe 3GSM fair, because rumor is they gonna release a 16G version.
but same as you, i wish apple would make the iphone available freely without the need of a contract with a certain provider.
in germany when you are with t-mobile you can even switch from an existing contract to an iphone contract. thats complete bollocks…
:frowning:

It appears that there is currently no way to unlock the 1.1.3 iPhone update. It even looks like modded SIM cards such as TurboSIM fail. So right now the only way to use an iPhone in Taiwan is to find a 1.1.1, or unlock a 1.1.2 with a modded SIM.

I’m a happy owner of a 1.1.1 iPhone, and I want to ask other iPhone owners if they have had any success finding an adapter that will fit the recessed earphone jack. I’m getting tired of the standard white earphones. Better yet, does anyone know where Monster Cable products can be found? They make a cool adapter with a built in microphone.

Also, has anyone tried to access Taipei’s WiFly on their iPhone/iTouch? The website indicates that a full year of access can be purchased for the low low price of 1800 or 1200nt.

I’ve bought 3 adapters on Ebay, all have managed to break in no time - i.e. no stereo sound unless you apply constant pressure to the male end of the cable. In each case I also noticed severe sound quality degradation. There’s a big ass 2-3 inch hard one Belkin sells; fuck that. I resorted to just cutting some plastic in my $20 sony in-ears and am happy with the results. There’s no strain relief left to speak of but oh well.

I’ve thought about the cutting option too, but I’m using nice Bang & Olufsen earbuds, and am loathe to take a knife to them. I also would prefer an option that includes a mic for taking calls, and the clicky remote is handy too.

Guanghua can unlock and upgrade to 1.1.2 when finished. As soon as there is a 1.1.3 unlock confirmed, I will go to same place in Guanghua, get that unlock, and post it here. Expecting a week or so.

I have a good headphone adapter a friend got in US. It is flexible and fits good. I am looking for some more once I know where he got this one.

My friends iPhone was bricked when his office upgraded to 3G. So he went to the place I go and they unlocked it again, upgraded to 1.1.2, and added some useful applications all for $500.

I can’t believe the usefullness and ease of use of the iPhone so far over all others I have owned including Treo, Sony, palm, 02, dopod… it is definitely due to the complete internet experience that companies are making compatible with iPhone.

Was there is a bluetooth portable keyboard, my iPhone will take up a big part of my laptop duties.

For better or worse, I bought an iPhone in the US, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get it unlocked.

I’ll either regret buying it, or wish i’d bought my limit of 5.