Iphoto backup

I’ve got about 125gb of photos on a 300gb iMac, so it’s time to move them elsewhere and make some room.

Unfortunately, the last time I did so, I accidentally deleted a large number of ready-to-print hockey cards. Oops.

Needing both additional backup space (already have a 250gb external drive) and a wireless network, today I picked up a 500gb Time Capsule.
Wonder of wonders, it works, and I was able to set it up. (More Apple love.)

Now I’m wonder that the most effective means of backup all these photos for easy retrieval would be. Any suggestions? I’ll be removing photos from the iMac’s hard drive and don’t want to have to restore a library merely to find old photos.

Cheers.

With a 125 GB of photos, you do not have much of a choice now, do you? I have two separate HDD firewire 800; one always online and the other offline. So, I have my pics on 3 locations. The iMac, the online HDD and the offline HDD. A bit of a maniac I know, but I learned my lesson the hard way.

How do yo like TC?

Haven’t had a chance to do more than kick the tires, but so far it’s great. I was tempted to get the 1TB version, but figured that this will do for storage for the next year or so.

Once the initial (massive) backup is done, I’ll see what it’s like in terms of ease of retrieval. If it’s too much of a pain, I’ll use iPhoto Buddy to create alternate libraries. That ought to do the trick. But I’ve also got several hundred gigs of audio book and files that I would like to have accessible.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Haven’t had a chance to do more than kick the tires, but so far it’s great. I was tempted to get the 1TB version, but figured that this will do for storage for the next year or so.

Once the initial (massive) backup is done, I’ll see what it’s like in terms of ease of retrieval. If it’s too much of a pain, I’ll use iPhoto Buddy to create alternate libraries. That ought to do the trick. But I’ve also got several hundred gigs of audio book and files that I would like to have accessible.[/quote]
Hey Jaboney, so how is Time Capsule?
I am looking for an alternative external HD, I already have an Airport Extreme base station, so I don’t think TC is for me (or is it?) if anyone has any thoughts on that?
What could be a good external HD these days? I am looking for no less than 1TB with FW 400/800.

I’m not sure if it’s for you, because I really can’t speak to what it’s capable of… haven’t put much effort into stretching its legs.

As a fire-up and forget it back up, it’s aces.

Streaming stuff around my apartment: no problem.
Downloading torrents at speed: ditto.

Will to answer more specific, demanding specs? I can’t say for sure. But I’m very happy with mine.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I’ve got about 125gb of photos on a 300gb iMac, so it’s time to move them elsewhere and make some room.

Needing both additional backup space (already have a 250gb external drive) and a wireless network, today I picked up a 500gb Time Capsule.

Now I’m wonder that the most effective means of backup all these photos for easy retrieval would be. Any suggestions? I’ll be removing photos from the iMac’s hard drive and don’t want to have to restore a library merely to find old photos.
[/quote]
I only hope you do not plan to use Time Machine to “backup” your photos and then delete them on the computer - that is not how it is supposed to work.

If you really need lots of space and have more than one computer, get yourself a NAS with iTunes support, put your music there and just copy the whole iPhoto library over. Next time iPhoto starts it will not find a library and ask, so tell it to access the one on the NAS - done.

My library is not as large as yours, but I still put it onto an external drive some time ago. Just remember that the library needs to be accessible when you fire up iPhoto, but you should soon get used to that.

I had some photos on another external drive but found the delay in transfer times to be too annoying. So I filled that drive (250 gb) with audio books and music, put a larger hd in my iBook and keep the podcasts in there. That left enough room for photos, for a while. Now with a baby in house, I’m just being more diligent about deleting useless images and burning those I want but needn’t access.