Ipod Classic (sixth gen)

I’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on purchasing a new Ipod Classic. I’m likely going to get it from Cost Co this week during the CNY holiday. I’ve read some stuff about a supposed audio problem with the latest version, the sixth generation. Can anyone confirm or debunk that for me?

Are there any other known issues or concerns one should know about? That ‘battery life’ issue was fixed up from a few years ago, right?

Or, is a guy wiser to go with an Ipod Nano? The Ipod Classic is the only remaining hard drive based Ipod model. With advances in flash memory density, the Ipod Classic could be a thing of the past rather quickly. Thoughts?

Go for the Touch!
It does sooo much more than the classic.
And it’s worth it.

I don’t know…the Touch is quite a bit more than I want to spend. I don’t need anything real fancy.

Why is it worth it? I’m assuming you have one?

How much storage do you need? If not much, get something more useful or smaller. If you want a lot of storage, the Classic is great. I’ve got the 120 or 160 gb version (I forget what it is), and love it. But then I’ve got a flippin’ library’s worth of audio books on it, plus podcasts and image files, so the storage is a must.

I’d like a lot of storage. I don’t want to find myself quickly out of space as I get cozy with a new toy, and do plan on putting more than just tunes on it. I guess I’m still leaning towards the Classic, as the Touch is pricey and has way more functions than I probably need, and the Nano is just a bit too slim on storage space.

Sorry, another question…are the earphones that come with a new Ipod really as shitty as people say they are?

Are those separate purchase In-Ear headphones worth it?

[quote=“Mer”]Sorry, another question…are the earphones that come with a new Ipod really as shitty as people say they are?

Are those separate purchase In-Ear headphones worth it?[/quote]

I love listening to music, and although they are not as bad as reaaaallly cheap ones, they are definitely very low end.

IMO (and a lot of people really don’t care), it’s really worth spending some money on good 'phones. I have Sennheiser PX200s; not expensive yet with a noticeable improvement in sound. I can’t stand that tinny quality they have, and they are also really loud to anybody standing near you.

[quote=“Mer”]Sorry, another question…are the earphones that come with a new Ipod really as shitty as people say they are?

Are those separate purchase In-Ear headphones worth it?[/quote]
Yes, and yes.
though I prefer a very good clip-on.

Aiyo! Decisions, decisions . . .

My nice old IPod nano up and shat itself yesterday after a couple of years of very frequent use. Apparently it’s the battery that’s the problem and yes, they can replace it, but almost at the same price of getting a new one.

So I’m now in the same boat as the OP, get the classic with all that lovely room, or just dip back into nano land? I like the size factor of the classic, as I’d nearly filled my old nano to it’s brink and couldn’t see any reasonable places I’d want to chop.

I rather optimistically got one of those Nike running thingees you can add to your iPod, would the bulk of the classic make this less appealing? Assuming of course I one day actually do get around to running anywhere but in circles.

HG

I did end up buying the Ipod Classic, from Cost Co. Saved about NT$1000 on the price compared to FNAC, 3C, or any other typical stores.
Very happy with my choice. I don’t care much for Itunes though.

Mer,

Before I battle the traffic and grow a few more grey hairs while I make the trip out there, how much are they at Costco???

Ta

[quote=“malasun”]Mer,

Before I battle the traffic and grow a few more grey hairs while I make the trip out there, how much are they at Costco???

Ta[/quote]
Funny you ask. They went up. I got mine in January and it was pretty much $8000. The cheapest I saw it elsewhere at the time was $8800, which was FNAC. I bet 3C was much the same.

Anyway, I’ve been to the Nei-Hu Cost Co recently and just out of curiosity I checked the price on the Ipod Classic 120GB, same one I bought, and unless I’m mistaken, it is now over $9000. Sorry, exact price escapes me at the moment.

Crazy hey. They go up in price because they’re made here, shipped to the U.S., priced in USD, then shipped back here and price goes up because of the NTD not so good to the USD recently. It’s more a pricing/ marketing scam than anything. Two weeks ago the local Carrefour had them at $8800, today 10000, (after a lot of nice renovations, though). They sell for US 214.00 in Costco Anchorage as of three days ago, so 8 grand is a pretty good price. I was hoping to buy it here for all the right reasons, warranty, economic stimulus, blah blah blah, but $10000 is a big difference. Thanks for the info.