iPod Power Pack?

Does anyone know where I can get one of those external battery packs for the iPod. Even at 14hr (on a good day) my iPod won’t make the flight back home.

there are a number of sites with step by steps on how to make one (eg hackaday.com/entry/1234000060073719/ ), but, if it was me and I needed to do it in a hurry, I would do it this way.

Buy a Car cigarette lighter adaptor with a USB out port. Cheap, about 100nt.

Then I would buy a 8x AA holder. Again, about 100nt max. (you might need 2x 4AA holders)

Break open the circuitry of the adaptor and connect the 2 wires from the holder to the 12v in. Tape it all up to stay together…or do a decent job if you have the time with a case.

When you need to use it, either buy some rechargeables or just normalAAs, switch it on and plug your iPod charger cord into the USB socket.

I have no idea how well this would work as I just thought about it now. But I might actually give it a go this weekend. All the parts are at Guang Hua Market, downstairs on the corner of Bade and XinSheng.

Oh yeah, the other alternative would be to buy one. But they are hellish expensive for what they are, if you can find one, and how often will you use it?

HTH

So you’re going to make a device, consisting of batteries, wrapped in tape, with various bits of wire sticking out of it.

And you’re going to then attempt to carry it on a plane crossing international waters! :astonished:

You’re a braver man than me!

Send us a postcard from Guantanamo bay.

:smiley:

[quote=“Rik”]So you’re going to make a device, consisting of batteries, wrapped in tape, with various bits of wire sticking out of it.

And you’re going to then attempt to carry it on a plane crossing international waters! :astonished:

You’re a braver man than me!

Send us a postcard from Guantanamo bay.

:smiley:[/quote]
ha
of course, it would help to strap a small clock to it so you can keep track of how long the iPod has been plugged in.

But seriously, I think it can be done easily and professionally enough to prevent arrest. If I can squeeze in some time, I will do it and take some pics.

I do not know locally but there are lots of options available online so you should be able to find something around here.

You can get small chargers using batteries - for example ZVM charger - or power packs that will charge your laptop, cell phone, MP3 player, etc - for example, have a look at www.batterygeek.net

If you are just worried about the flight then check out www.igo.com for adapter options.

Best bet is probably to go to Nova and ask.

Is it a full-sized ipod or the nano?

Here’s my full-sized iPod one (Uses the Firewire cable, which uses 12v, rather than USB’s 5v).

Total price? About 40NT$ :sunglasses:

It’s the video playing iPod. Nice work man, but there is NO WAY I’m getting on a one way flight to NYC with that thing! :smiley:

fnac at asiaworld has them

Thanks everyone for the input! I found one near the ZhongZiao XinSheng MRT station.

what features does it have. Cost?

It holds four standard AA batteries (included) in a pack that matches iPod design. Battery life is estimated at 15-20 hours (though video will reduce that time greatly). There are two suction cups that hold it firmly to the iPod and two spare cups are included. It has an LED readout to indicate reserve power and a power switch. When switched on the iPod draws power directly from the pack and not its internal battery, regardless of its charge. The material quality is high and fit and finish is good. However, it is a rip-off at 1900NT, but I don’t have the time to shop around.

For future reference for anyone looking for external battery/power packs or other power related accessories:

www.mrbattery.com.tw

I have not tried their products - came across a store on BaDe (inside the mini-mini mall next to Starbucks) on the weekend with products and marketing material.